how to claim prsi relief on company scheme pension contributions

fizzy

i am 24 and am contributing 5% of my salary to a company pension scheme for about 9 months now. my employer also pays 5%.

i know that i do not pay tax on my contributions. however, i found out recently that i can get prsi relief as well - is this correct?

i know that the tax relief is done at source before my pay gets to me - is the prsi deduction done the same way or do i need to claim back at the end of the year?

while i fully understand income tax calculations, the prsi bit has always left me a bit muddled! i have tried on occasion to match the figure on my payslip but always ended up slightly out so just left it!

if the prsi deduction is made at source, is their any online calculator where i can check my prsi charge is correct or a simple explanation of how it is calculated?

thanks in advance :)

If you are paying the pension contributions through payroll then you should be getting tax and PRSI relief "at source" - i.e. your pension contributions should be deducted first and only then your tax and PRSI calculated making your pension contributions exempt from tax and PRSI. You only need to claim tax and PRSI relief manually if you are making pension contributions from after tax income. If you have to do this then see here. To double check salary figures use [broken link removed] and simply reduce your gross salary by your monthly pension contribution.

Back