how to become self employed?

J

jonmc2

im a qualified tradesman whose been working away from home for some years now and i want to move back home now. i dont want to have to work for someone now but i dont know how to go about becoming self employed. can someone advise me as to how to go about this.

These links might be of interest:

[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]

how to become self employed

Is it better to set up a company or not if you want to be self employed?

It depends. Tommy McGibney's link above deals with some of the issues and pros/cons.

For the record I've worked both as Sole Trader and through a Limited Company, and I find the Limited Company to be far better.

That's just a personal view, you should read Tommy's pro's and con's and make up your own mind.

My own suggestion is that if you see yourself being self employed long term, i.e. for the rest of your career, then you should seriously consider the Ltd company route.

If you aren't sure what you'll end up doing and you want to try being self employed for a while, then start out as a sole trader.

-Rd

?

Limited companys must file tax returns each year, audits, pay corporate tax and adhere to the most stringent of revenue policies not to mention Company Law.

I suggest starting as a sole trader and them moving to partnership until the business develops.This is the most common format for tradesmen until they develop theri business.

To be honest do not waste you time with the above try this link for honest and experienced advice.

www.basis.ie/

>

> To be honest do not waste you time with the above try this link for honest and experienced advice.

Don't waste time with WHAT above? Note that above also includes the same link already... :|

Ltd Co better - why?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the record I've worked both as Sole Trader and through a Limited Company, and I find the Limited Company to be far better
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Rd, can I ask why you find it better? What advantages? Or is it because you have employees?

Back