How to approach employer about pension

roncondon

Hi all

I'm working for the same company for the last 15yr. No pension either private or company. I'm approaching 40 and due to this forum and my age have decided to seriously look into starting one.

Questions:
How likely are smallish companies (less than 30 employees) to give pension where I put 5% and they match this?

Best way to approach boss bout same?

Best type of pension for me? (I know more info may be required)?

Thanks in advance.

Firstly, all Employers are legally obliged to make a Personal Retirement Savings Account (PRSA) available to all employees. So they are required to have established a structure with some PRSA provider.
The Employer is not required to contribute, but they are required to facilitate you contributing via the "net pay" structure.

So maybe the starting point would be to approach your Employer and ask who he has set up the PRSA with (assuming he has such a structure in place). If he has not set up a PRSA facility, then you could advise him that he is legally required to do so.
So assuming you are prepared to contribute (the Employer must facilitate you doing so though payroll), the next stage would be to ask the Employer will they match your contribution. If push comes to shove you could agree to take a salary increase by means of a pension contribution.

Best of luck

Just ask. You have been there a long time, they may be willing to make a contribution to a pension plan for you if they think it will keep you there for longer.

The type of pension you set up then is dependent on whether your employer will contribute. A PRSA is the handiest.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Thanks for yer replies
I do remember some years ago prsa provider being mentioned in passing.
No paperwork or anything like that .company has its employees scattered all over country.

Company highly secretive no one knows what terms and conditions anyone else has.
Seems to be company policy.

Anyway I will broach it with them wouldn't hold my breath on them making any contributions though.

Back