How to advertise a business Oportunity

Zapatista

Hey guys,

I've got a bit of a vague one here.

I've had what I consider to be quite a good idea for a web based business. It would take the form of a social networking community and the revenue would ideally come from bars, clubs, etc. advertising on the site. The thing is I would like to design the website and possibly get the ball rolling with some advertising clients but after that I can't afford to spend the time on it.

My "hairbrain" plan is to recruit someone to set up and run the business for me in exchange for a generous profit share in the business.

Could someone more knowledgeable than myself please tell me if they think this is in any way a good idea. If so how would I go about finding such a person? Obviously I don't want to just advertise in a local paper and have every Tom, Dick and Harry show interest.

Ideally the person chosen would develop great passion for the idea and therefore build the business to a successful level, making us both money in the process.

Any comments, suggestions, advice would be greatly appreciated.

Zapa.

So you want someone to setup and run this for you in exchange for just a share in the profits ?

What do you add to this ?

Why would anyone do this when you are not offering a wage...

Like I said a generous share in the profits!

I give them:

1. the website
2. the idea
3. a list of venues willing to advertise

In return they get:

1. say 80% of the profits
2. the opportunity to be their own boss.
3. their own company after a set number of years

Could you please be more specific with the possible disadvantages of such an offer.

Zapa.

It's very difficult to assess your business idea without knowing more about it. And if you post more about it,the idea may well be robbed.

I would suggest that you do a mock-up of your site. You would then have to ask the potential advertisers if they would actually pay to advertise on the site. That will still give you only some idea of whether it will work or not.

You won't know until the site is up and running and people are actually paying hard cash for the advertising.

I would guess that it is difficult to get advertising on an internet site unless you are extremely popular. I would suggest that you set up the site and make it very popular first. When it's getting lots of visitors, you can employ someone to get advertising.

The problem with being an entrepreneur is that you must take risks. You probably have to give up your current job at some stage to get this project off the ground.

Brendan

Thanks for the advice Brendan,

You're right about giving away to much information about it - that's why I am being so vague. Direct advertising revenue is not exactly what I plan for. Rather the venues will pay me for directing people to them on a person by person basis.

To be honest I not looking for anyone here to evaluate my business idea. I'm more interested in whether or not an offer such as the one I've mentioned would be in any way appealing to a young eager entrepreneur with more time on their hands than me. I do think it is a good idea and could have potential if it were run enthusiastically.

Assuming for a moment that my idea is full of potential would the offer be in any way appealing??

Zapa.

BUSINESSES DOESN'T WORK THIS WAY.

I guess you should try to give a brief intro about the business idea you have, may be at a very high level and then seek someone. Terms can be negotiated at a later stage.

Without leaving any clue of what kinda business you want to set up, it is very unlikely that you find someone who will run the show for you.

Having GOOD Business Ideas is not GREAT finding an execution path and finally executing it makes the difference.

All great achievers such as eBay, Google, YouTube, Hotmail etc., etc have all followed this path.

my 2 cents ....

Thanks for your input ChunkyLover,

Although I feel you, like many others here, have missed the point of my post. I'm not actually looking for a potential candidate on AAM. I simply wanted to gauge how plausable such an offer would be, assuming the business idea was sound. I will obviously divulge far more information, i.e all information, once, no if, I take it any further.

To clarify my question, would the following be in any way an attractive offer to an entrepreneur starting out in the business world, "assuming the business idea is sound"

1. I will give you the idea.

2. I will give you the website and domain name.

3. You will receive 80 percent of any net profits made.

4. After 5 years, provided you meet set targets, you will own 90 percent of the company.

5. If at any point within the 5years you are not meeting targets it will be at my discretion to terminate the contract. After the five years, if successful, 10percent of the company and net profits will remain in my name.

If this is a plausable offer then what would be the best way to find a suitable candidate??

Zapa.

What are you offering so - are you looking for someone to design, develop, market and sell advertising on the site.

maybe im taking u up wrong but you seem to be getting 20% of everything just to give some one a domain name and a slight business model

Thanks for your input ChunkyLover,

Although I feel you, like many others here, have missed the point of my post. I'm not actually looking for a potential candidate on AAM. I simply wanted to gauge how plausable such an offer would be, assuming the business idea was sound. I will obviously divulge far more information, i.e all information, once, no if, I take it any further.

To clarify my question, would the following be in any way an attractive offer to an entrepreneur starting out in the business world, "assuming the business idea is sound"

1. I will give you the idea.

2. I will give you the website and domain name.

3. You will receive 80 percent of any net profits made.

4. After 5 years, provided you meet set targets, you will own 90 percent of the company.

5. If at any point within the 5years you are not meeting targets it will be at my discretion to terminate the contract. After the five years, if successful, 10percent of the company and net profits will remain in my name.

If this is a plausable offer then what would be the best way to find a suitable candidate??

Zapa.

I would consider myself a young eager entrepreneur and so in answer to your question, no, this would not appeal to me at all. Having a good idea is one thing but executing it correctly at the right time in the right market without financial backing is quite tough.

Would you not just be better off to outsource the work and have the contractor sign a non-disclosure agreement and perhaps have someone run this business for you... even part-time. You could possibly even offer it as a potential final year project for a college student studying a relevant discipline with some financial incentives.

Zapa - can you pay the "entrepreneur" a regular wage? If anyone is going to invest time and effort, before hoping for any profits, they will need to cover their expenses and time. Plan for these wages in the first year as your "investment" in order to get the thing off the grouns.

And, the people with possibly the most amount of time are students... try advertising through the postgrad network. There are many postgrads who have experience behind them and also have a few hours per week spare.

Are these thoughts any help?

Bob

Zapa - can you pay the "entrepreneur" a regular wage? If anyone is going to invest time and effort, before hoping for any profits, they will need to cover their expenses and time. Plan for these wages in the first year as your "investment" in order to get the thing off the grouns.

And, the people with possibly the most amount of time are students... try advertising through the postgrad network. There are many postgrads who have experience behind them and also have a few hours per week spare.

Are these thoughts any help?

Bob

Bob,

Excellent advice. It's a great help to me.

Much obliged,

Zapa.

If your idea is that good why not get a loan / raise cash and hire someone?

You could probably find someone to do this under your scheme, but I would guess the person who says yes hasn't a clue what they are doing.

Apart from building the user base on the site the big problem will be cashflow:

Who pays for:
Advertising
Servers
Bandwidth
Accountant
Legal (T&C's)
Upgrade / bug fixes to the site
Telephone calls
General Admin

This will all add up very quickly

Maybe you need to look at a different model, instead of looking for one person, try and find a few people around the country each working their region , spreads the risk for both them and you.

Back