How safe is our email and password on this site?

Miseméféin

Hi, after finding this site recently, I signed up here a few nights ago to respond to a thread where I thought I could add something useful.

The next morning I had an email from a social network comiserating with me that I had trouble logging in. I had no such trouble and clearly someone had tried to hack my account.

It is quite possible that it was a coincidence that I had just joined this site with that email address. However I will regret if I don't at least ask: has anyone else had a similar experience?

Just because I hadn't given out my email address anywhere else new recently that I could think of and the timeline of the issue was so close.

I wondered was there someone with access to the emails and passwords who just for fun sees if you are clever enough to (not) use the same password everywhere. I really hope it's not the case but as I say I felt I should ask. Even that somebody could be hacking the site's user lists I just became a bit unsettled.

I've been so grateful to come across this site since I learnt so much from a very busy UK site when I lived there. Sometimes I find people here are less forward when it comes to moneysaving and you see a difference in the way businesses deal with that, which in turn can provide less opportunities to save money than in the UK (eg vegetables in Tesco in the North can get reduced to 7p but here it would be reduced to eg €1.50 on the same expiry date) so any place where people are sharing sensible options is wonderful to me.

I just got a bit of a shock and wanted to check nobody else had a similar issue. I really don't want to accuse anyone and I'm sorry if it sounds that way. I would be happy to have this thread deleted after a reasonable period of time where people have had a chance to confirm, as I dont want to shed any doubts on the site unfairly.

Never have.

But I use a different email (forwarding to another email) for forums and a unique password for every site and a password manager.
So its unlikely to come to me anyway.

Could be cookies on your PC tracking where you've been. Its just seeing

It could be because you used the same username on a different site that had been compromised?

Hi, after finding this site recently, I signed up here a few nights ago to respond to a thread where I thought I could add something useful.

The next morning I had an email from a social network comiserating with me that I had trouble logging in. I had no such trouble and clearly someone had tried to hack my account.

It is quite possible that it was a coincidence that I had just joined this site with that email address. However I will regret if I don't at least ask: has anyone else had a similar experience?
Never had a problem with the site. Sounds like a coincidence. (Or maybe your ex trying to have a little snoop )

Thank you all for replying. I used a completely new password so it wouldn't have been an issue for me but it was the use of my email address out of the blue. As nobody has come back with a similar experience I think I can take it as a coincidence.

Sorry for causing trouble and thank you very much Brendan for confirming that only 2 administrators can see the email addresses and nobody can see the passwords. This is very reassuring. It is perhaps standard for forums but I know from previous experience that at least in some online programmes, customer service can see passwords.

Just because I hadn't given out my email address anywhere else new recently that I could think of and the timeline of the issue was so close.

The scammers who send these types of phishing emails out usually buy large lists of email addresses from the dark web.

I presume the email referred to trouble signing-in to Facebook, Twitter, etc., and not to AAM itself, and it did not contain your AAM username?

I just realised I had written username and password in the title when I actually meant email address and password.

Sorry about the confusion caused - I have updated the title. If the admins wish, I would support the thread being deleted in case it puts doubts into new users' minds about signing up. Thanks.

You seem somewhat anxious to have this thread deleted, any particular reason why that is?

I hate causing trouble and I fear putting off new users. I really like this site and I dont want to cast any doubt on it.

That said, I'm a completely new user and if it gets deleted I assume I'll loose some of my post count and further away from being a 50 post user. I think I've to get to 50 posts and possibly also a specific length of time as a member to be able to "like" a post and also to post in some areas of the site. I may never use those options but it's nice to have options.

I hate causing trouble and I fear putting off new users. I really like this site and I dont want to cast any doubt on it.

Fair enough, however I think, given the answers above to your concern, I feel it may well have a positive effect by helping to put users minds, both new and old, at rest.
BTW, Welcome to AAM.:)

Back