How safe is a PS3 online?

DavyJones

Can anybody help? I have a PS3 and play online, does it need an anti-virus programme and is the playstation store a secure site to enter CC details?
Thanks DJ

the ps3 is really a computer. A long as u dont put a os system ie. windows on the hard drive and no third party software u should be fine

There seems to be differing opinions on whether it can be targeted - it is running an OS.

There is at least one product available:

Has anyone had PS3 crashing following an recent update from sony? My son's PS3 has packed in for no apparent reason ("error has occurred 8002AA01" when trying to sign up for PS3 network, won't play any gmaes except PS2 games) Thing is, his pal's packed in too a few weeks ago.

contacted Sony.told them all, they said they'd EM within 10 days.Anybody else having problems?

This thread references it but I haven't read through it beyond a casual read:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=psnetwork&thread.id=8007&page=24

Thanks rmelly. Found that but not much help, I'm afraid. From googling, it appears to be some sort of blue-ray works problem as it still plays PS2 games. Machine is a year+ old.

Welfarite we just had the same thing happen with our son"s Playstation 3, only 6 weeeks old and bought to replace the xbox 360 that crashed twice. Rang Sony helpline and they told me to return it to shop for replacement, shop argued the point that they were losing out but told them in no uncertin terms to sort it out with Sony, long story short after some much debating they replaced it as a " once off ", worth trying if you still have the receipt handy!!

Thanks for that. We'll see what Sony EM to us, then try the shop if need be. The thing is just over a year old so out of warranty.

Back