How much to offer farmer for part of field to extend garden?

W

witless1

Hi,

I'm considering asking a neighbouring farmer if he'd consider selling a corner of his field to give us a bigger garden. We're looking at about one fifth of an acre.

The particular bit we'd like to buy is not particularly suitable for a site for a new house, or part of a site. However, we are quite close to the outskirts of a regional city so we'd likely have to pay well above agricultural prices, but I hope less than development prices. The general area is popular for sites for one-off housing.

Anyone have a rule of thumb for this kind of thing, or good/bad experience to share?

Thanks...

So you are looking at about two fifths of an average building site. Research todays prices for these sites locally and calculate the price from there. I would ask if he is willing to sell first. I would not offer a price rather let him suggest one....he may be willing to sell for a lot less than you are willing to pay. Or he may be only willing to sell land in half acre blocks.

As a guide, I bought 1/10th of an acre, unsuitable for building on, in a village near Dublin for €14k a good few years back. In my mind agricultural land was 5k/acre and .5acre dev land was about 200k (cost of a site!)

I could hardly offer 1/10 of 5000... so in my mind 1/10th of a site was 20k and I picked a number less than that for a quick deal.

Back