How much to expect to pay for a joint will at short notice?

NOAH

The time has come to make a proper will, its joint but not a clue what cost may be? When I see solicitor do I get a quote first? Own house so not outlays.

But can we have 2 separate wills??

Lots of relations on one side!!!

Help

Is it complicated? If not, it could be anything from €100 to whatever. It's at the other end of the will where there's money made, but that will not concern you :)

In fairness to solicitors (some), they do wills for free at a certain time of the year provided you make a donation to a nominated charity. Ask your firm if they do this.

What do you want to happen:
1. When you die?
2. Your spouse/partner dies?
3. When you go together?- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frAEmhqdLFs

Are you aware of your legal obligations to each other? How many of your assets are in joint names and will pass outside your estate directly to the joint owner? Do you have under age children/ beneficiaries?

Is what you want likely to leave upset in its wake when you go?

Do you both want the same things?

Solicitors will want to see you separately and will suggest that you each make your own will. By all means, discuss with each other what you want to do before you meet the solicitor and then discuss with each other what you've done after you meet the solicitor but the solicitor will still want to see you separately.

Most solicitors will do wills for less than €200 ( incl. VAT) each.

Personally, I'm thinking of introducing an additional wittering-on tax ( WAT) for the clients who treat giving instructions on making a will as something akin to identifying, confidentially, an additional Secret of Fatima! Over a prolonged period of time.

We then have the "I can't make my mind up, I'm terrified of verbalising what I want, I'll just keep making appointments and then breaking them - I'm sure the solicitor has lots of other things to do while I'm playing this elaborate foostering pantomime " brigade.

Or the "of course, our circumstances are quite unusual" - they're not
"of course, you won't have come across this before" - we have.

You get the picture.

mf

Many will try to add in a clause nominating themselves as the executor. If they add that, determine before signing what their executor fees will be, or have them remove that and add your nominee if you have someone in mind.

All done and dusted, I have my own executor. They were very good. We sign on Monday

Back