how much off garage list price?

M

Morley

Hi, I hope there is an easy answer to this question.

I have picked the type of car I want, make, model, year, etc. About 6 weeks ago I saw one at a garage, chatted to them about it etc. At this stage I was still deciding which type of car I wanted so didn't do a test drive.

When I rang back to arrange a test drive he said it had been sold and when I asked for how much, he said 14,950.

It reappeared on the internet for sale last week and by this stage I know it's the kind of car I want. I rang and discovered that it was indeed the same car. The previous sale had fallen through. However it was listed in the internet for 16,950. I asked him about that and he said, yes, he would sell it for that but that would be the absolute lowest etc etc. I went for a test drive and I liked the car and want to buy it.
Now I have to talk to the garage about my trade-in and I want some modifications so there is scope for more haggling. Does this sort of discount on the list price sound average? I really just want to buy it but don't want to be a chump.

3 things you will probably wonder:
  • There are not many of these cars about but when they come up online they are generally listed at the 16,950 range.
  • And i am sorry for being mysterious about the make and model, but i am convinced that the garage would identify me right away if they read this due to my having set out the situation.
  • They are a very good garage, great reputation, main dealer for this brand so i have no worries there.
thanks in advance for any suggestions
M

Back