How much is a pint in your local pub?

MrEarl

Hello,

I was reading a little about this on another website, and it got me thinking - have pubs taken advantage of the pandemic, to put their prices up?

How much is a pint of Guinness in your local pub, and do you think the publican has put the price up, to coincide with (oudoor) reopening?

To get the ball rolling, a pint of Guinness is now €6.25 in Gibneys, Malahide, and I'm almost certain that's the result of a pandemic price hike.

€5 in my local in Carlow. Saw online about a guy who was charged 7.50 in temple bar for a pint of lager

€5 in my local in Carlow. Saw online about a guy who was charged 7.50 in temple bar for a pint of lager
Imagine how long he would have had to queue if it was a fiver? T'was €2.50 well spent if you ask me!

Isn't it gas how people have a different standard for drink. To part with €7.50 in normal circumstances you'd expect to get something of substance (no, not those substances). But when you go out you'll keep throwing it away without a thought, and get a hangover for your troubles. I've made the move to zero beer from Aldi & Lidl, about €1 a pint, takes great (better than branded stuff, zero or not). Sip away on 2 or 3 depending on what's on the TV (no point in lashing it down - as once we did, to get a buzz). Yes I'm officially old and boring. I'd sooner go out and pay, say €3 a pint for zero stuff, and drive home, but Ireland being Ireland it probably costs as much, maybe more, because there has to be some way to screw you.

Hello,

It's a good point about the non alcoholic beers, and I've seen very few places ever charge a reasonable price.

What are the non alcohol beers that you get from Lidl and Aldi, please?

What are the non alcohol beers that you get from Lidl and Aldi, please?
Aldi is really where you want to go. Lidl has decent Pilsner style beer, but choice is limited (or maybe I was just in a hurry). Aldi had a great range, my top tip(ple) is the IPA, brewed in Dundalk (c'mon da town), there's also Russian, Italian & French lagers & a brown ale as well. You literally cannot miss, buy 1 or 2 of each and see what you like, its cheaper than water (depending on where you buy water, but y'know what I mean). I like Aldi 500ml bottles, a bit 'meatier' than the 330ml of Lidl, but all the same price per litre (or as near as makes no difference).

Tbh I've found Heineken zero to be like watered down Heineken, which is as grim as it sounds, Carlsberg zero marginally better, but why would be be bothered paying for their advertising campaigns when the stuff mentioned above is better tasting (I've no vested interest in any of them). I must pop into the alcohol free pub in Dublin, the Virgin Mary in Capel Street just to see the craic, & I'd love mainstream options on draught in every pub.

Btw I'm no health or moral zealot, there's nothing wrong with drink in moderation, it's just as total waste of money and we've "lionised" the whole experience as being some great part of our culture - tis no great boast to pour liquid down your throat IMHO.

Sounds like there's a few there to try, thanks. The IPA is of particular interest - Wicklow Wolf "Moonlight" is currently the first choice for non alcoholic beers, but it's typically €2 - €2.50 a can, in the supermarket.

Thanks btw.

Taking the alcohol out of beer and wine is an expensive process so while the taxes are lower the cost of production is far higher. As the market grows there will be economies of scale and prices will drop but no matter what that expensive secondary process will remain.
The alternative is to control the fermentation process but there is still an added cost.
Info here

I bought a bottle of Eisberg red, twas totally rank. Won't be doing that again, sugary muck.

Back