Healthcare costs - not insurance How much has the shingles vaccine cost you?

Up Rovers

I'm strongly considering the shingles vaccine and on checking with G.P. practice it appear that its a case of getting a prescription, purchasing it directly from pharmacy and returning then to practice nurse to have the injection done. Have spoken to a few friends who have mentioned figures of a few hundred possibly ranging from €250 to €400!!

Has anyone purchased the vaccine and if so how much did it cost? As its so expensive just wondering if it would pay to shop around.

Have spoken to a few friends who have mentioned figures of a few hundred possibly ranging from €250 to €400!!

Has anyone purchased the vaccine and if so how much did it cost? As its so expensive just wondering if it would pay to shop around.
I'm being careful not to breach the posting guidelines on medical advice.

The reason for such a variance is because there are 2 different vaccines in use. There is a single dose one which you should get for around €200 (contains a 'live' virus), and a double dose vaccine taken 2 months apart which costs about €480 (recombinant vaccine).

Neither are covered under medical / GP card.

Pharmacies can also administer these, you don't have to go to your GP. Speak to your GP / Pharmacist, and see which is right for you.

Speak to your GP / Pharmacist, and see which is right for you.

Spoke to G.P. and secretary a month or two ago and neither mentioned two different vaccines and they did not know the price. Will have to check with pharmacist so. Thanks.

Last edited:
Just to clarify

These posts are well withing the Posting Guidelines.

Recommending one vaccine over the other or advising for or against the vaccine would be against the Posting Guidelines.

But explaining why there are price differences and how to get the vaccine is not against the Guidelines.

Brendan

Will have to check with pharmacist so.
Not all pharmacists administer them, but some do. If they do administer, they generally have both options, and can talk about side effects, efficacy, etc, and help you to make an informed choice based on your specific circumstances.

I got the Shingrex vaccine last year. I paid about €400 for the double dose in Lloyds. I checked with the Chemist Warehouse and it was about the same price.
It wasn’t covered under the drugs repayment scheme.
The following gives a good explanation of both vaccines

Interesting that its free in Australia and UK with some age limits. Is Ireland a little behind on this one?

Hi, I enquired at pharmacy and was told €500 (including administration of the vaccine), two shots at €250 each. I know the pharmacist, I am on 3 forms of prescription medication and she said no problem for her to do it.
Decided to get it from GP as get a few € back on my insurance when I have a receipt from the doctor; also it’s documented on my records.
GP charged €230 per dose, didn’t charge for the admin- think they were just being decent; second time was in with one of the kids and just did it quickly.
Boots are charging €486; 2 shots at €243 each.

Decided it was worth it for me, have a few friends that got shingles; was very painful and were left with residual nerve damage. Also, the anti-viral medication is very expensive.

Good luck with it

Just wondering if anyone has checked about cover on health insurance and as its so expensive @€480 if tax relief is available for it?
Health insurance isn't great for vaccines. I'm assuming if you get it via GP you can claim the GP visit element.

Some Laya policies cover 50% of vaccine cost, but capped at €50 per year.

The few Vhi policies I know have narrower cover on specific vaccines: travel vaccines up to €100 per year, or under maternity benefits chicken pox & meningitis up to €50 per inoculation.

Similarly some Irish life plans cover travel vaccines and HPV.

Back