How much for surveyor?

cms

I'm just wondering what is the average price for a survey on a three bed semi? I've been quoted €425 +VAT for a survey that will take about 2 hours. Just wanted to check I'm not being ripped off.

I'm paying €500 + VAT for a survey on a 3-bed, so that sounds reasonable.

Bigest problem was getting someone who could do it within a reasonable timeframe.

Solonoid.

I got one done recently and I have to say he was great.For a 3 bed I was charged €300 and that was vat included...I can give you his contact details if need be.....Dublin area btw.

I'm just wondering what is the average price for a survey on a three bed semi? I've been quoted €425 +VAT for a survey that will take about 2 hours. Just wanted to check I'm not being ripped off.

That’s a good price. Or should I say the going rate... At the end of the day it is east money for them, just make sure (if required) you get them to fill in your mortgage companies form *while* they are at it. The problem is getting them to do the job and then write up the report. At the end of the day, if you are any good at DIY etc there will be nothing in the report you could not spot your self. If you expect them to check under floorboards, depth of foundations or 'get into the attic' expect to pay €3000+.

The surveyor I used a couple of years ago has yet to charge me... But since it took over two months (and lots of phone calls) to get the job done, I am not going to chase them any more.

Towger

Well the surveyor I hired got up into the attic,he had a meter with him to check for dampness.He said they used to check heating but the way things are these days you have to have a cert to check it now.

The surveyor also did a valuation for me also and its normally €120 on its own but with the survey and valuation combined they do a deal,something like €80 for valuation...

Would someone post or pm me with details of a recommended surveyor in the Dublin area?
I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.

We used these guys - [broken link removed]

Survey on a 3 bed detached property in Dublin area was around €485 (incl vat).

We had a couple of queries once we receive the detailed report and they were most helpful with answering those queries as well as giving advise on other general areas. They are part of the society of chartered surveyors also which gave us some piece of mind.

Have recommended them to friends already and they too have been very pleased with their work.

We used these guys- very professional, fast and sent us out the report a few days later. Think it was around €485.[SIZE=-1]www.thorntonssurveyors.ie/[/SIZE]

We also used Pat McGovern after seeing a recommendation for them on this site and they were very quick and efficient.

Bigfoot, we are using Thorntons too. They're doing the survey tomorrow so I'll post when I get the report and let you all know if we were happy with them.
Thanks for all your replys.

Hi CMS.
How did you get on with Thorntons? Were you happy with them?
I'll either go with Thorntons or PatMcGoverns myself as both are recommended here but it's great to get the feedback.
Thanks,
Jada

Here's another thread for you to read:
http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?p=198654#post198654

As I said at the time:

I used Citywide Surveyors (You'll find listed on MyHome.ie).

For value for money they're hard to beat - €302.50 incl VAT! The survey was grand. Not massively detailed, but covered most things and included the AIB valuation no extra cost. I had some follow up questions and he was easy to get in touch with and was happy to answer (and advise) where possible.

I used Peter Carey in Kilmainham just recently (He is also listed on myhome.ie). His fee was €350 inclusive of VAT. His report was detailed and precise.

I phoned him once I received the report and he talked me through the whole thing, suggesting what was needed to remedy various faults. I found him very friendly to deal with.

just wondering, does your average surveyor/engineer have a public indemnity insurance cover up to a certain amount(I know they have but just wondering what kind of limit it is) if something goes wrong, I have heard stories/urban legends of engineers trying to dodge out of reports by using disclaimers....

Just thought I'd update you all. We got our report from Thorntons yesterday and were very pleased. They did a very thorough survey and found some minor problems like guttering that needs replacing and a damp spot under one of the showers caused by an unsealed shower tray. I'd say that's the kind of thing that could go unnoticed until it was too late.
They organised the appointment in less than a week from contacting them and we got the report by email and post the following week.
I'd definately recommend them.

Having seen him recommended on this site, we used Peter Carey for a building survey early Jan. Did it immediately, was thorough, efficient, quick to e-mail and post the survey and was happy to take a few follow-up query calls and chat away about stuff we were unsure about.

Would recommend him 100%. He's on 087 252 6451 and he charged us eur350.

Sal

Back