How much for accountancy service on start up business plan?

Icarus

I'm wondering how much it costs to have an accountant help putting a business plan together for a start up?

its impossible to reply meaningfully to your query on the basis of the limited information you provide

A business plan is a lot of work - the write one up an accountant would have to spend a full week writing and researching it. (at least)

You need to bring a specific problem to the accountant.

Icarus - what kind of work do you expect your accountant to do?

A business plan is a lot of work - the write one up an accountant would have to spend a full week writing and researching it. (at least)

You need to bring a specific problem to the accountant.

Icarus - what kind of work do you expect your accountant to do?

I can understand that. What I would expect would be the final preparing of 3 year projections from figures I would deliver in spreadsheet form, knowledge of various taxes, prsi etc for a small start up company. Maybe a little experienced guidance on presentation too. I've done several smaller plans myself but with something this comprehensive I don't want to feel like I've forgotten something and there is no margin for error.
The main writing and compiling of the document I would take care of myself.

The accounts are an important part of a business plan.
They show the performance of the company and what targets need to be achieved.

You will be quizzed heavily on the financial aspects of your plan, so it is very important that you know them inside out.
The best way to do this is to do them yourself.

Get a detailed spreadsheet and start filling in figures.

Just put in a few figures at a time and see how they appear in the spread sheet.

You will be quizzed heavily on the financial aspects of your plan, so it is very important that you know them inside out.
The best way to do this is to do them yourself.

Get professional advice. In my experience banks would not look at the financial aspects of a business plan unless there was some accountant involvement.

get a quote from your accountant

Do bear in mind that advance quotes may not be appropriate to this type of work, where it may be difficult to gauge in advance the complexity or extent of the work required, or the possibility of "scope creep". An advance quote in this context will normally include an "uncertainty contingency" ie an additional charge to cover the possibility of additional work. If this work ends up not being necessary, the advance quote bill might well be higher than would otherwise have been charged on a per-hour basis. There is also the risk that confining oneself to an advance quote might well lead to a rushed or half-completed job.

Hi,
I would recommend that you look up www.startingabusinessinireland.com.
It has got some simple templates and spreadsheets. Iwould also recommend that you do as much of the work that you can on the business plan yourself. Then take it to an accountant or other professional in that area and talk them through it. Then it can be fine tuned and will cost a fraction of what it would cost if you presented them with a full business plan brief. Also make use of your local enterprise board and small business start up agencies such as Leader / Area Partnerships etc as they have professionals on hand who can guide you through the process and bring your business plan up to standard without costing you anything. In my experience it is worth approaching the banks while you are still writing the plan as they will give you information as to what is required for your particular business and you will be able to tweak the plan to meet bank requirements as well as using it as a development tool for yourself. When completing the spreadsheet- cash flow and cost projections - dont just fill in numbers- have another sheet stating your assumptions and explaining where the figure come from.
Tangerine

Back