How much does garage space/planning add to value of 3bedsemi in Lucan?

dubinamerica

From looking at myhome.ie a lot of 3 bed semi-ds in Lucan are priced around 360-380K. If the property also has a garage space (planning would need to be applied for now as it's out of date) - any idea how much this would add to value of house ?
Also - is it worth getting planning for a garage/extension or such like i.e. does it add to the value of the house or does it not really matter?

Hi there,

I live in Palmerstown and put a sunroom onto the back of my home... plus shower room and small Loo.... this added about 35k to my property.....

Not bad..... did all the work myself apart from the blockwork... al in it cost about 13.5k to build

Not a bad investment

With property prices rising soo fast for FTB's, i'd say increasing the sale price is the last thing you should do. Adding an extension will reduce your market (FTB normally buy in the Lucan area). You will get more money through having more bidders bidding on your property and it's less hastle too.

However, in the Sunday property sections last weekend they were saying that the highest profit/margin to be made on an extension to a property was having the proper planning permission in place and NOT doing the actual building work.

Westie said:
Hi there,

I live in Palmerstown and put a sunroom onto the back of my home... plus shower room and small Loo.... this added about 35k to my property.....

Not bad..... did all the work myself apart from the blockwork... al in it cost about 13.5k to build

Not a bad investment

I'd be very cautious to use this as an example. You probably have made 20k just by the rising property market alone, it is very hard to quantify.

dubinamerica said:
From looking at myhome.ie a lot of 3 bed semi-ds in Lucan are priced around 360-380K. If the property also has a garage space (planning would need to be applied for now as it's out of date) - any idea how much this would add to value of house ?
Also - is it worth getting planning for a garage/extension or such like i.e. does it add to the value of the house or does it not really matter?

Sorry, to answer your question, having planning permission in place will add to its appeal to buyers. FTB may see having planning permission as an added bonus but I doubt the could afford to purchase the house and build the extension in todays market. Also FTB's normally migrate from their first purchase after 5-6 years. All in all, having planning permission will give it an edge over another property (as there seems to be soo many houses the same in Lucan) which will help it sell, but buy building on that planning permission will reduce your market.

Thanks for the feedback. The most we would be thinking of doing is applying for planning permission - we definitely wouldn't be doing any building. We don't plan on selling this house right away or anything but were wondering if this would add value so it might be worth investigating a bit more and be ready to apply in case we did want to sell. Thanks for the all the feedback.

Back