How much do you spend on house each year?

I heard a piece on the radio about 2-3 years ago on this and the 'expect' suggested you spend 1% of the value of your home on upkeep each year . we had just done work on our house and I remember calculating what % it was. We hadn't done anything for a few years and it was just over 1% over 4 years worth of work
That's really interesting and probably about right. For us, we've probably spent that but unfortunately on repairs etc (heating/boiler, electrics etc etc). I guess I'll have to budget a bit better for cosmetic stuff to make it a nice cosy home than just a function house. Many thanks and much appreciated.
Is that your priority? I can believe that it is for some people. But kids don't care. And many of the most homely, welcoming, and homely houses that I have been in with my son when he was a lot younger were the most shambolic, messy, and unmaintained.
That's nice to hear - my mam always said it's a home not a house and I guess that's what you're saying here too. I'd hope my kids feel the same way but they're always going on about their friends who have lovely houses etc so I guess I feel a bit of pressure. But you're right - nicer to have a friendly welcoming homely feel than to have a place that's sterile and almost too immaculate where people can't feel at ease. Many thanks

Is this the radiators that you are referring to? We notice that ours are only half heating up at the moment even after being bled. Do all radiators need to be flushed because they are linked? We live in Blackrock in Dublin. Can you recommend someone to do the job?

We have lived in our house close to 30 years now. We had the outside professionally painted once during that time. I paint the sills, gates, and downstair door frames every two years and it still looks good but next year we will get the outside completely done. I think I was quoted €6k for this.

Our carpet on our stairs has worn away on the turn but the rest of the carpet is still good. We had a carpet fitter in to turn the carpet on the stairs but he couldn't do the turn. As a result, we have three steps with the threads bare.

Got a quote of over €300 to have our dining room curtains cleaned. Silly money really. We reckon we could nearly purchase new ones for that price. We might come back to this in 2023.

We have spent very little money on our house in 30 years. We have to decide about a new walk-in shower and a new kitchen, however getting rid of junk might be a better start. It's more about having workmen in our home for weeks on end that has stopped us doing the upgrades needed.
I hear you on having work people over - although I know most are great, it still feels like an instrusion especially when you don't have much free time at home. That does put me off a bit as well so I'm with you on that :)

Thanks a million all for your replies and insight. It's definitely put some light on the subject for me. Many thanks and much appreciated :)

When I was working, yes constantly working on the house upgrading and improving the place
But since I've retired no, if it breaks I'll replace it, if it can be repaired even better as long as it financially viable
There's only the two of us here and the odd cat that drops by so we look after everything
The only thing we seem to be hard on is TVs I've replaced 3 of them now in the last 10 odd years
and I can only put it down to we'd probably have it on more so then most people

That 1% figure comes a study which shows it averages out to that over longer periods of time when looking at essentials. Obviously people can choose to spend more but just on the essential bits, that average gets brought up from those years when larger items come due.

The age of the house also plays a fairly big part. When we bought our place, it needed to be gutted, but that also means that years 2+ are well below that 1% figure.

The value too also plays a part if you start counting things like preventive maintenance. Think things like getting the boiler or alarm serviced. A few hundred Euro in costs isn't much on a million Euro home, but is a chunk of the 1% on a more modest home.

But you're right - nicer to have a friendly welcoming homely feel than to have a place that's sterile and almost too immaculate where people can't feel at ease. Many thanks

As in - please remove your shoes when entering my home as I don’t want you to dirty my lovely clean new carpet ???

I've also seen the 1% figure mentioned. In reality, it's one of those costs you can't avoid. You either keep spending on your home so it's maintained, or you don't, and it'll be ultimately sold at a discount.

I've also seen the 1% figure mentioned. In reality, it's one of those costs you can't avoid. You either keep spending on your home so it's maintained, or you don't, and it'll be ultimately sold at a discount.
Many people like to buy a house that has nothing done to it so they can put their own stamp on it. New kitchens dumped, new bathrooms taken out.

If I'm not doing anything major, then a couple of grand a year at least. 4 bedroom semi, always something that needs a bit of paint and then there is the chimney sweep, boiler service, window cleaner etc. Probably need to do a new kitchen next year, some dry lining and tackle a damp corner so dread to think what that will set me back.

Back