How many taxpayers actually file a return?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WizardDr

Two Million Taxpayers +

150,000 (one hundred and fifty thousand) actually file a Return

Great country for non-self employed.

Two Million Taxpayers +

150,000 (one hundred and fifty thousand) actually file a Return

Great country for non-self employed.
Great little country for Revenue; most people who are not self employed would be claiming back medical expenses etc.

Virtually all the reasons for filing a PAYE return are now capable of being done without a Return.

Three issues arise:

1, It encourages people not to return casual income that is fully taxable;
2, The madness of a separate structure for that outrageous property tax could have been avoided
3. Number 1 is a trap for the unwary when it is far simpler not to a return.

It is also a badge of citizenship.

2, The madness of a separate structure for that outrageous property tax could have been avoided

Property Tax is a great (though obvious) thing. It widens the tax base. Even if there is high unemployment and lower income tax takings, the state still received this tax.
It would have softened the blow of the post-Celtic Tiger recession had it existed.

My sister lives in Florida. Her property tax is $35,000 per annum.

Property Tax is a great (though obvious) thing. It widens the tax base. Even if there is high unemployment and lower income tax takings, the state still received this tax.
It would have softened the blow of the post-Celtic Tiger recession had it existed.

My sister lives in Florida. Her property tax is $35,000 per annum.

I didn’t realise that Melania had a brother in Ireland...

If a reasonable person in Revenue was seeking to make tax returns simpler and integrated they would have realized that the Income Tax Return should also cater for Property Tax return.

They realized that if they did this the whole country would be making one return for both taxes and they decided that even though this was the right thing to do that would go a separate return so as to avoid citizens making a single return.

Casual income is growing and Revenue were negligent in not combining the two returns so as to encourage the disclosure of casual income.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back