How long in house for it to qualify as PPR?

ApplePie

I apologise if this has been covered before. I've spent the past while searching old posts and did a google search too and came up with nothing.
So, can I ask you guys... how long would we have to live in a house for it to qualify as our Principal Permanent Residence?
We're looking at a property to buy and renovate with a view to selling it around this time next year. Currently renting. We would want to live in it anyway for a number of months before selling, returning to renting and hopefully using any profit from the sale to help with financing a new build.
We think this property is a good buy and would love to go ahead with it. At the moment we're tryint to realistically estimate what we could hope to make on the sale and just need to know the tax implications re selling.
Thanks so much in advance for your help.
Sarah

If you buy a property as an owner occupier and genuinely live in it as your PPR then you can sell it on as soon as you want and benefit from owner occupier/PPR benefits (e.g. owner occupier rates of stamp duty and no CGT on any resale gain). Unless you do this serially and Revenue decide that you are engaging in a trade then you should be OK.

Back