How long does it take for Grant of Probate to be issued after the appointment?

Brendan Burgess

Founder
I am an executor and am taking out probate without using a solicitor.

I have been given an appointment with the Probate Office in June.

Assuming everything is in order, do they give me the Grant of Probate there and then?

Or do they post it out later?

Brendan

Last edited:
I have been given an appointment with the Probate Office in June.

Assuming everything is in order, do they give me the Grant of Probate there and then?

Or do they post it out later?

Brendan
Assuming you're doing the probate yourself and have fulfilled all necessary paperwork, etc, with everything in order, I don't see why not. Either that, or they have some questions they need answers to. Are you the executor of the estate?

Yes, I am the Executor and I am assuming all the paperwork is in order, so I have updated the original post accordingly.

No, they won’t issue the Grant of Probate there and then Brendan. If everything is in order (and they’re experts at nitpicking in that office!), it can take some weeks to process.

Back in October, the position for Solicitor applicants was as follows: “The waiting time for solicitor applications at present in the Probate Office, Dublin, is eight to ten weeks assuming that the papers received are correct.” (See: https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2021-10-12/413/ ). I know you’re not a Solicitor but if the application is in order there should be no issues.

Not sure what the present position is for correct applications.

Back