How long does divorce take in Ireland

Staffie

My parents are a long time separated and it's only now my mother will be moving on a divorce. My father is in a financial difficulties and in poor health and she doesn't want to be liable for his debts if he was to die.

My mother wants nothing but a clean break and the family home. The family home is in his name. There was no mortgage on the house. My father hasn't lived in the family home in over 19/20 years. What will likely happen to the family home? Will it go to him or my mother?

If they can reach an agreement between themselves that would be the best outcome; if they can't reach an agreement then they both have to pay a chunk of legal fees and ask a judge to make a decision.

We don't have a so-called clean break system in this country. A person can still be called upon to maintain their former spouse after divorce.

"My mother wants nothing but a clean break and the family home. "

Not asking for much so! Especially when "My father is in a financial difficulties and in poor health"

You'd need to provide a great deal more information before anyone could give any meaningful advice.

Best bet is for your mother to go and see a good family law solicitor to get advice.

mf

If your father is in financial difficulty it is unlikely that he will give up all the family home.
Be prepared for compromise through negotiation or else you will be making a big contribution to our learned friends Winter break in the Bahamas

The obligation to maintain never goes away.

How much, under what conditions and for how long are different questions.