How is VRT calculated on a new car?

Odea

If I purchase a new car and the basic price increases because I choose a metallic paint, is VRT also calculated on the metallic paint element of the purchase?

Is VAT then calculated on the cost of the car that includes VRT?

https://www.ros.ie/evrt-enquiry/vrtenquiry.html?execution=e1s2

"Statistical Code uniquely identifies a particular Make, Model, Version and Variant of a vehicle, with an individual OMSP determined by Revenue for that vehicle."

How does a person find the above code for a particular make and model of car?

I'm not sure if VRT is calculated on metallic paint. So if I purchase a car with alloy wheels, leather seats as standard....am I paying VRT on this element of the car?

Do you mean the sale price of a brand new car from an Irish dealer or a second-hand import?

For new, VRT is a fixed percentage of the sale price. So the pricing of additional features such as metallic paint will include the VRT element.

For second-hand, extra spec increases the OMSP of the car, so will influence the assessment for VRT. From the FAQ:

Additional VRT may be payable if the vehicle is fitted with chargeable enhancements/accessories and Revenue may require more time to assess this additional amount.

I've only ever gone through the old process before Applus took over, but then you had to supply any details of optional extras on the vehicle (including those present at time of original purchase and fitted subsequently) and these were factored into the calculation, and they inspected the car checking the spec details. I can only assume the inspection that Applus are doing now includes a similar check.

Last edited:
Hi Leo. It's a new car from a dealer. I am told that VRT is payable on metallic paint. Then there is VAT on top of the VRT.