How I lived on £1 a day for a year

Yes I was in Manchester in july I went into a shop to buy a meal for 4 total cost was £4 and that included a daily paper and a magazine and water for tea I didn't know at the time that they were giving out the daily paper for free in the afternoon. What are the chances of that happening in Ireland? The same would cost at least €15 and you pay for the paper whatever time of day it is.

You could always get a hamburger in McDonalds and pick up one of those absolutely awful freesheets and while away the day one €1. What you would do after that five minutes had elapsed is completely up to you!

Was she not getting ready to sell her story? this has been done before to make money by writing about it afterwards. It is not a true reflection of someone who genuinely would only have a £1 a day to live on, day in day out, month after month, year after year. During the time of the experiment I bet she was going out in the evening and eating in restaurants when she got hungry. Thats all it was, an experiment.

Have a good look at what you spend everyday.

Do you really need to buy a newspaper when you can get the news on radio/t.v. ?
You an get free coffee in most bookie shops and some of them do chips/sausages etc at lunch hour
Bring a lunch to work. Dont buy water.

I know life may not be wonderful but if it means you get control of your finances it will be worth it.

Dont bother with the recycled toilet paper !
Thats probably going too far. Use the toilet in the nerest 4 star hotel

You an get free coffee in most bookie shops and some of them do chips/sausages etc at lunch hour

I'd imagine the bookies wouldn't take to kindly to non-punters walking in off the street for lunch.
And if you're a punter then trying to save while gambling isn't really that far-sighted.

I'd imagine the bookies wouldn't take to kindly to non-punters walking in off the street for lunch.
And if you're a punter then trying to save while gambling isn't really that far-sighted.

Not if you're only betting on 'Dead Certs' - techincally it's not even gambling as you're guaranteed to win.

In my opinion, she went a bit to the extreme, thumbing to france!!! but she managed to have a social life, etc without the extremeties.
I don't think thumbing would have been possible without extremities.

Fascinating thing I took from it was that she used to frequent the local library to use the internet for free - good thinking!!!! I mentioned it to my better half and she decided to do the same as she was fed up paying the €2 for 30 mins in the local internet shop.... The library charge the same €2 for 30 mins!!!! Very different country we live in....

That woman might have lived on £1 a day in England, but she wouldn't be able to live on €1.27 in Ireland, in my humble opinion!!!!

In South Dublin County Council libraries the internet is free to use and you can borrow DVD's for a week at a time. You can also read the paper and magazines while you are there and borrow books, CD Roms, audio books, cds etc for 3 weeks at a time at no cost.

yeah not a chance this can happen, unless that is you dontpay any taxes and do not lead any normal life..

Bit disingenuous, she didn't live on a £1 a day unless she had property fully paid for already.
Sounds a bit excessive though, when she only spent £1350 on the present for her brother :)

thats very excessive for a present IMO

quoting
Originally Posted by delboy159 http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?p=705186#post705186
I listened to her on Ray Darcy and she was very up front about the rent/electrcity/heating bills being in a seperate bracket. The £1 a day was purely for food and entertainment.

Fascinating thing I took from it was that she used to frequent the local library to use the internet for free - good thinking!!!! I mentioned it to my better half and she decided to do the same as she was fed up paying the €2 for 30 mins in the local internet shop.... The library charge the same €2 for 30 mins!!!! Very different country we live in....

That woman might have lived on £1 a day in England, but she wouldn't be able to live on €1.27 in Ireland, in my humble opinion!!!!

there are no charges in libraries for internet acess where i live

Its just a gimmick to show poorer people that they could live cheaper.
No chance of the top brass cutting back on helicopters etc,which would save the country millions
It reminds me of our politicians etc telling us how to save energy by turning off the heating etc when they drive in mercs etc.
Purerhypocrisy.
I know a lot of women who can live on no money.
They just get others to take them to restaurants and buy them drinks etc

Back