How does Airtricity Level Plan work?

nmesisca

Hi all,
could some of you please explain to me how exactly the level plan is supposed to work? I understand that you should be paying an amount that is fixed by averaging the previous bills, but what happens if/when a sudden increase or decrease in consumption?

thanks for your help,
N

There will still be a couple of meter readings taken during the year as far as i'm aware (or you can provide them yourself) - so they may adjust the level accordingly.

so... its not level at all. you're just gonna get hit with the increase all in one go??
can any of you confirm this at all please?
there doesnt seem to be any information around on how this REALLY works..??

thanks
N

Ring them and get them to explain. (let us know what they say!)

I reckon its a really slick move that only benefits their cash-flow. They get paid every month (instead of two monthly for ESB & Bord Gais) and yet the meter is only read every 3-4 months.
If for example your consumption goes down (as it could in summer) then you've already paid over the money (based on previous readings) and you get a credit which you use up later. However they get the cash up-front and the customer has to wait for it back in the form of a credit.
Its not customer friendly at all and goes against the whole idea of being billed for actual usage.
I used to be a customer and have moved to Bord Gais on that issue alone.

If for example your consumption goes down (as it could in summer) then you've already paid over the money (based on previous readings) and you get a credit which you use up later.

But this credit can be used to offset your higher Winter bills so you have a flatter average rate across the 12 months instead of having a spike in Winter?

8till8 has to be right. Why else would they insist on it! However, I will be challenging them if my 'average' is not based on useage over the past 12 months. I have a record of all bills going back to day 1.

I pay both my ESB and Bord Gais bill on this type of arrangement. I am charged the same amount each month and I never get stung by having to find big money for bills in the winter. I think it is very useful for budgeting purposes as well. Yes it is true that sometimes I'm in credit and the companies are benefiting from my money but sometimes I owe them money and I benefit. Depending on usage over time the monthly charge can be adjusted up or down.
I would like to change to Bord Gais for my electricity so I hope they offer the same plan.

.... They get paid every month (instead of two monthly for ESB & Bord Gais) and yet the meter is only read every 3-4 months. If for example your consumption goes down (as it could in summer) then you've already paid over the money (based on previous readings) and you get a credit which you use up later. However they get the cash up-front and the customer has to wait for it back in the form of a credit. Its not customer friendly at all and goes against the whole idea of being billed for actual usage. I used to be a customer and have moved to Bord Gais on that issue alone.

In principle though the concept of 12 more or less equal payments appeals to many people who might be finding it difficult to cope with very high winter bills. Yes, you will be paying more during the summer months and your account should go into credit but then you won't have huge payments to make in winter. It should be very helpful to anyone who needs to budget very carefully: it brings an element of certainty into what your monthly electricity payments will be.

Where it can go off the rails is when you have several estimated bills in a row follwed by an actual reading which results in an accumulated usage. The monthly payments would then be adjusted upwards. The trick is to examine every bill and contact Airtricity with your own reading if the bill is estimated.

Regards,

Fnergg

Back