How do I get my ex off the mortgage?

I would suggest that you
  1. Study the ISI's reasonable living expenses and see how they compare you your actual situation
  2. Complete the SFS as honestly and detailed as you can as it will help you with the above by clarifying your actual incomings and outgoings (many people will not really know the details of these offhand)
  3. Contact MABS and see if they can give you any advice/support/assistance.
Thanks ClubMan, Ill look at these and will do the SFS

Repayment is now €1980 pm. I cannot pay this.
Any opinions appreciated - I want to add a solid proposal to UB on the SFS
Based on an analysis of your incomings and outgoings (which you'll need to do as part of the SFS) what amount can you reasonably pay? This may be better suited to a separate Money Makeover thread in which people can offer better suggestions based on a more comprehensive understanding of your overall financial situation.

divorce could take years.
I'm going to take a punt here & put my marker at max 4 years.

Do everything you can to meet the mortgage; dont leave yourself a hostage to fortune by messing up yr credit history.

rent-a-room could bring in c. 1,100 a month - that wld take a decent chunk out of your mortgage.

IANAL

If you cannot balance your budget then you really need to consider selling them and using the proceeds to defray costs.
If I secured a smaller home, 2 bed would be perfect, I would sell some shares then to reduce the mortgage owing on that house.

I'm going to take a punt here & put my marker at max 4 years.

Do everything you can to meet the mortgage; dont leave yourself a hostage to fortune by messing up yr credit history.

rent-a-room could bring in c. 1,100 a month - that wld take a decent chunk out of your mortgage.

IANAL
I live in rural area, rent a room would be great but there is no way I could charge 1,100 pm. I did think about dividing the house and making it so that someone could rent that for 1,100 pm - this arrangement could stay in place for 4+ years

I live in rural area, rent a room would be great but there is no way I could charge 1,100 pm. I did think about dividing the house and making it so that someone could rent that for 1,100 pm - this arrangement could stay in place for 4+ years
You dont need to charge 1,100 per room.

You can earn a max of 14k per year tax free which translates to around 1,100 per month.

'Dividing' the house requires planning which you won't get, removes the tax free status & possibly causes more issues when you try to sell with a sitting tenant.

Rent-a-room (or possibly two rooms) makes much more sense.

If I secured a smaller home, 2 bed would be perfect, I would sell some shares then to reduce the mortgage owing on that house.
You seem to have cashflow and budget balancing issues now - you said that you cannot afford your mortgage repayments!
Seems to me that you should be cashing the shares in now rather than later.
UB will probably say the same when they see your SFS and the fact that you have these shares.

But, as I said before, this probably really needs a Money Makeover post in order to garner more targeted suggestions.

Back