How do I claim tax relief on my pension contribution?

F

Fat Cat

Since September 2005, I have been putting aside 5% of my biweekly salary into a pension fund.

My employer matches my contribution.

Could someone please guide me as to how I can claim tax relief on my contributions?

As a percentage, how much can I claim back? When?

I am 27 years of age.

Thank you in advance.

Are you sure that it your pension contribution is not deducted from your gross salary via payroll (in which case the tax relief is automatic?)

Azriel

Yes, my pension contribution of 5% is deducted from gross salary. However I do not see in either deductions or balances as to there being any relief.

Let me check with my employer and I will follow up with you, thanks.

You don't see the relief explicitly because the pension contributions should be deducted from gross income before tax and PRSI/health levy deductions are calculated. This is how tax and PRSI/health levy is granted at source on pension contributions made via payroll. Double check but you should be gettting the relevant relief already.

ClubMan

Yes, my pension contributions are deducted from gross income before tax and PRSI/health levy deductions are calculated.

Double checking with employer that tax and PRSI/health levy is granted at source on pension contributions made via payroll.

Many thanks for your advice on this.

Yes, my pension contributions are deducted from gross income before tax and PRSI/health levy deductions are calculated.
If this is the case then...
Double checking with employer that tax and PRSI/health levy is granted at source on pension contributions made via payroll.
... this must also be the case.

Back