How can/could Revenue "find out"?

Very odd stories, as tax penalties can not be charged on an individual after their death. (Arrears and interest can.)
Revenue raised the bill for taxes and charges during her lifetime and then didn’t pursue it. The debt sat on her file until she passed away and then the Executor had to negotiate with Revenue. All I know is that the tax debt was circa £20k and I ended up paying near £40k to clear the debt.

Revenue raised the bill for taxes and charges during her lifetime and then didn’t pursue it. The debt sat on her file until she passed away and then the Executor had to negotiate with Revenue. All I know is that the tax debt was circa £20k and I ended up paying near £40k to clear the debt.
so she would have known she had a liability but just ignored it?

Yes, if the penalties are charged while the person is still living, they remain payable post-mortem.

I would refuse to pay any leftover taxes, penalties from a deceased relative.
Is it possible to decline such an inheritance? Unless one wanted to retain a property.
It reminds of the guy that got 12 penalty points. His mother was in a nursing home, he was driving her car around recklessly.

I would refuse to pay any leftover taxes, penalties from a deceased relative.
Is it possible to decline such an inheritance? Unless one wanted to retain a property.
It reminds of the guy that got 12 penalty points. His mother was in a nursing home, he was driving her car around recklessly.
I had a choice in fairness. I could of course have refused the legacy and the Executor would have had to then sell it to settle the debt. I wanted to retain the property in the family.

(Not sure I understand the penalty point analogy though.)

Bit of a reach, that. They don't routinely monitor private bank accounts in real time.

I'd imagine they received IRS data and matched it with their own records.

I wouldn't be so sure of that.
When you fill out the form for US holdings for shares there is usually a piece about cross border tax liability and data sharing (so you don't get taxed in the US as well as here). I do remember having to provide my PPS number so I think they might notify Revenue here in order to clear that you don't have an equivalent tax liability in the US.

Back