How are people paying for their lifestyle

Straight into college to earn an easy IT Degree. Straight into a job. Can jump/switch jobs at their leisure. Salaries always seem to be increasing. The economy is on the up and up.

If you knew even a little about the IT sector over the past ten years you'd know this statement to be completely untrue. Simply not true! Five years ago there were no IT jobs to be found.

And if you think an IT degree is "easy" you should try it yourself. I work harder than most people I know in any profession. Software development is widely recognised as being one of the hardest working, longest hours for least reward businesses out there.
And for the record I'm in the lucky position of working in the sexy end of IT...working for a very successful Irish IT company, in a senior role. I work my ass off....and we're constantly on the go. 60-70 hour weeks were the norm for all of 2006 to make sure we met our contractual obligations to hang onto our biggest customer. The same is true of anyone working in more private sector IT companies. Banks are a different story.

If you knew even a little about the IT sector over the past ten years you'd know this statement to be completely untrue. Simply not true! Five years ago there were no IT jobs to be found.

And if you think an IT degree is "easy" you should try it yourself.

I work in IT (software developer) and I have an IT degree! I've never had any problems finding an IT job, and I've jumped around a bit...

Originally Posted by HotdogsFolks [broken link removed]
Straight into college to earn an easy IT Degree. Straight into a job. Can jump/switch jobs at their leisure. Salaries always seem to be increasing. The economy is on the up and up.

Agree totally with Gabriel.
hotdosfolks, I would love to know why so many IT guys were out of work 5 years ago after startups went bust, myself and my friends included.
Where did you get your degree because you definetly did not do a proper IT related degree never mind one of the engineering (computer or electronic) ones if it was so easy.
Either that or you are a genius.

And saying that you work in development can be anything from working with real-time embedded systems to building websites with fronpage.

[broken link removed]

jmayo, so you're allowed say you think IT in college is hard, but I'm not allowed say it is easy?

I never experienced the no IT jobs thing. I do of course remember the dot com bubble, but I was always a C guy rather than a web developer (IT is after all a big area...) But of course the jobs market wasn't always totally booming.

How did I not do a proper IT degree?? I'm not sure what you're trying to get at there. Did you do IT "by accident" or are you mathematically inclined? I think the problem you may be talking about is that a lot of people aren't suited for IT (shouldn't really have taken IT as a career choice) because they either don't like or aren't very good at maths...

For the record, I always found my college maths tough, but enjoyable tough, so the exams were never a problem.

All I can say is my friends and I found college easy. Sorry that this offends you. IT certainly isn't easy only for "genuises" as you suggest! We're fairly normal people...!!

/edit: this is kind of embarrassing actually. can we move on??

Last point:
I do know some people that made it through college and got IT degrees and I can't figure out how they did it, because they did not have a clue what was going on.
So maybe some degrees are easier than others.
2000 and 2001 saw lots of people move into IT, and really half of them should not have been in it, the other half should have been in it all the time.
So much for the points system.
All I know is anybody that did more engineering related degrees usually did not find them easy. Some classes were ok but others were pain in **** to do.
Also four years is long time to spend having to study, do labs, do projects, learn to live on little or no money and make your own booze, so the apprenticeship is hard.

Anyway what is this thread about again?

On the car issue - my husband gets a new 520D BMW every year and i get a new 316i BMW on the 2nd of Jan every year. So if you passed us you might think we're loaded! Far from it - My husband sells Bmw so his is free (with the exception of BIK). I also get to change my car every year for next to nothing and i see my car as savings or the ssia we never did.
So maybe all the people in the new cars that you see around the place work for some dealership!:)

Sorry for getting off te IT section of the thread - just wanted to add something to what the thread is meant to be about.:p

Back