How about easing rent controls for landlords with 3 properties or fewer?

Perhaps the simplest solution is to immediately change the 2% cap on rent rises per annum. PRTB could publish it annually or biannually. It should be in line with inflation otherwise landlords will continue to exit. It’s the easiest move and entirely justifiable. Tax should also be looked at. Perhaps landlords could claim tax @ a lower rate e.g 25% if they are under a certain % of market rent for their geographical area.

I think @noelÓm summed it up with some very clear analysis, trust would be required for any solution and any policy or promise from our politicians might not be credible as they chase votes. Getting rid of rent controls would be a big step, but then if selling with tenants in situe is enforced by the next government that might just replace it as a big hit on future sale prices.

Some posters seem confident that all of this could be resolved legally in the future, in that case staying invested would work out after the dust settles, from my own perspective that seems a bit of a gamble.

The elephant in the room in any discussion about controls is lack of supply - the only reason for controls is to try and hide or distract from the fact that they're restricting supply.

It's at a stage now where they should just purchase prefabs and get supply increased as a priority.

Then remove controls altogether.

Interesting proposal, Brendan. The RPZ system creates dysfunctionality in the market. I would disapply it immediately for new tenancies, but purely on political grounds, no party will suffer the heat and disapply it for existing tenancies. Can you imagine Eoin O Broin and the PBP lot licking their lips and going ballistic at the prospect?

Good idea, but politically impossible.

Back