Housing benefit - help

W

WXMLAD

hello

This is a bit of a tricky one (for me it is lol)

right i currently live in a council property with my mum, she gets the rent and council tax paid as she recives a disability benfit, i want to buy a property and rent it to her and poss live there to, will she still be able to get her rent paid - to me from the council?

surely she should, i know shes my mother but i cant afford to have her living rent free, and wouold a % of council tax be paid to?

thanks in advance

Dave

Dave, this is an Irish website, you need to find out from someone in the UK. But why not buy the council property where you currently live and take advantage of the discount.? Look at the profit you would make!Is there some reason why you can't do that? If the new property was converted into two self contained flats then your mother would be responsible for her own place where she could continue to claim rent and housing benefit!! What are your own circumstances? There are a lot of if's and but's. If you go to the citizens advice bureau, no doubt they will be able to give you the low down. From what I remember of paying council tax, when I lived in the London Borough of Ealing, if you are living with a relative you would not be able to do what you are planning unless as I said they are two separate flats.

Back