Housing and rent

C

caron

Hi,

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask about this.

A close friend and her baby are currently in private rented accommodation covered by rent allowance. She is also on the council housing list. She suffers from anxiety and depression and also back trouble for which she is recieving medical treatment. The property she is currently in is damp and has caused the child to have many chest infections. It also has very steep stairs which she really struggles with. Both her and the baby now have to sleep in the sitting room as there is no way she could manage the stairs with the baby.

The council are refusing to rehouse her saying she has not been on the list long enough. But they took her of the list at one stage saying they had sent a letter to which she did not reply. yet she had not recieved any letter. Any other private accommodation has been over the rent allowance limit so she was unable to take it. She has submitted numerous doctors letters to the council with no change. Yet there are 2 bungalows in the area that have been empty for at least six months. Does anyone know of anything more she can do to get the council to act on this. her situation is getting steadily worse.

Sorry if this is not the right place for this but I would be really grateful if someone could point me in the right direction

thanks

Maybe Threshold could help to advise/assist her? Her local might also be able to clarify her statutory entitlements. Has she considered contacting her local elected representatives to see if they can help? It should not be necessary to do this in this day and age but the practice persists and sometimes there seems no other alternative to try and make progress.

She should try her local td. Some of them can be great for finding out what help is available. With the election coming up I am sure he/she would be happy to inquire with the council on her behalf. Also try threshold as clubman suggested. Maybe you could ring them on her behalf to inquire about what they offer.

The fact that she was taken off the list as she did not get the letter seems to be a good avenue to pursue. would she have got an offer if she hadn't lost that qualifying time (i.e. Length on list)? If it was accepted that she should not have been taken off list, that may get her something. As Clubman, says, you shouldn't have to get TD involved in this day and age, but that's also a good avenue to pursue at this stage.

Your friend should also speak to her local Community Welfare Officer (from where she's getting the Rent supplement at present) and ask advice on moving due to medical need and suitability of premises she's currently in.

Did you see the item last night on news re chiuldren's Ombudsman taking up case against council for refusing to house wonan with child who uses wheelchair? It might be in the papers today, didn't see them yet.

hi,

thanks for all your help.
She told me last night that she has now spoken to a TD and is hoping for the best.
She also told me that she did not push the matter very much before as a housing officer told her that if she complained about where she is living at the moment an inspector would be sent round. The place would be closed down and she would be made homeless and she would lose her child.
Surely they can't do this can they?

I doubt if she was told that! How could they saythe place would be slosed down before it was een inspected?! In any case, hope she asserts herself a bit more adn tell them her awful position.

IMO This is a troll.

Either the OP is trolling or the friend is looking for sympathy and not telling her the truth.

Murt

Back