Housewarming gift ideas?

1308dorina

A friend of mine has just moved into a new house.
I have no idea what to buy for her. We would be relatively close but not best buddies or anything.
This is her second home and i did the candle and wine present thing the first time round so I wanted to think of something different to buy for her this time.
She's been married for a year now so has all the toaster, clock, etc type presents already.
Anyone got any suggestions? Also, how much is the norm to spend? I was thinking €50 but maybe that's not generous enough.

A voucher for Dunnes or the like? So that your friend can get whatever she needs herself, and it can match her existing items. I suppose it's like the Great Wedding Present debate; not much point in giving her stuff she probably already has.

€50 is plenty imo.

As someone who is just moving into a new place I think vouchers are your best best.

NEXT have really lovely homeware so she's bound to pick up something nice in there.

I got my friend a little Coriander plant - they have lovely one's in habitat - you just add water to the packet - the herb is already planted in the soil. You get a few (they're 7euro each) and she could have her own mini-herb garden on her windowsill.
A flowering plant or bunch of flowers is also very nice thought. You dont need to spend much if its evident thought went into the present.

I was recently invited to a housewarming and brought them a hamper from Harvey Nicks foodhall - different pastas, sauces, chutneys, teas, coffee etc. I spent euro 70 and it was a substantial hamper (overdid it to be honest so euro 50 should do it). I bought the stuff you wouldn't really fork out for yourself if you catch my drift.

Of couse, I ended up getting a little too drunk and decided that their guest room was so fab that I curled up on the bed and point blank refused to go home but gleefully told my hubbie to head off, I'd see him in the morning!

Naturally, if you're not living in Dublin you can completely ignore my post!

i think something like a newbridge silver picture frame or mirror is personal but not too personal if you know what i mean-and you can pick them up for around €50-they are always presented well and i have never heard anyone not like a gift of newbridge silver

cocktail receipe book, cocktail shaker and nice cocktail glasses! hiccup!

i was given a variety of different pressies when I got my own place and although i genuinely didnt like some of them - I felt I had to display them - so now Ive got a few items round the place that Id really rather not - if you know what I mean

My favourite pressies were vouchers. That way I could get something to my own taste. A close second was food/drink items.

Although the idea of the Newbridge (or other ornament type) stuff is nice - if its not to a persons taste then theyre stuck feeling like they have to display it.

We got a gift of the last Jamie Oliver cookbook (Cook with Jamie) as a housewarming gift recently and it went down very well!

Concur with Jazzhead.

You have already done your bit by buying a housewarming present for the first house, no-one expects a pressie everytime they move house surely?

Wait until you are invited to the party, then bring a bottle suitable for shots.