Household bills???

Sarah

I was not sure where to put this thread so sorry if its in the wrong place completly. Just wondering, an odd question ,i know, but would anyone be able to give me an idea of how much the average house hold bills cozt every two months - Least this is when i thing the majority of them come through the door. Things such as Gas heating, electricity, grocery shopping. There are the two of us moving into a small 4Bed house and i want the cooker and hob to be electric so that way the gass is just being used for the heating. Like i said its probally an off the wall question but i really have no idea. I know everyone is different but if anyone has an average idea...it would be so much appriciated.

Thanks a mill

Hi Sarah,

We live in a 3 bed semi and on average our bills are: Gas - €110 this is our heating and we also have a gas hob. Electricity approx €70, phone bill approx €70 (all every 2 montsh) we usually spend on average €70 -€100 on Groceries a week this includes all cleaning stuff too.

Hope this helps!!

Thanks a mill Tomo,

Thats a great help. Just wanted to familarize myself with what my outgoings may be. Cheers for that!

I pay my household bills by monthly direct debit, 4 bed house, 1 adult, 1 (expensive!) teenager and 1 proto-teenager.

Phone (UTV-talk barred mobiles) €5 (ex rental)
Broadband (UTV again) €30
Cable €23 (basic)
ESB €54
Gas €43 (heating and cooking)

Don't forget to allow for TV Licence and Rubbish Collection. Good luck in the new house.

Two of us in 3 bed semi. Gas €50ish every 2 months (heating & gas hob). Esb €70ish every 2 months. Food varies as sometimes we shop every week and sometimes every two or three weeks - depends on if we're around. Bin tag costs €6 every three to four weeks. Have no idea what the phone costs as that's his bill but I know we have utv talk so it's costs very little (free evening & weekend calls to Ireland & uk and we use our mobile inclusive minutes for calls to mobiles).

Sarah,

My aunt pays €10 or €20 of each bill a week and that keeps her in credit or very little to pay when the bills come in.
Best of luck with the house

Thanks to everyone who replied, it has definatly helped me work out what my outgoings will be. I know that the TV licence is 155E for the year but how much is it to get the bins and where do you get them? By the way am planning on getting a tv licence about a month or so after we move in as we dont have the extra cash right away will this be a problem does anyone know?

Cheers again!

By the way am planning on getting a tv licence about a month or so after we move in as we dont have the extra cash right away will this be a problem does anyone know?

Like you, I intended buying a TV Licence a month or two after I moved in to my house so as to avoid all the annual bills arriving at the same time. 5 months later and I'm still putting it off until the next month! Better get it before the Christmas expenses start!!:eek:

FYI, you can pay for your TV Licence monthly by direct debit. As far as I can remember its about €12.50 or thereabouts.

Tonash said:
FYI, you can pay for your TV Licence monthly by direct debit. As far as I can remember its about €12.50 or thereabouts.
Good point - mentions the DD facility alright.

FWIW

2 adults and 2 kids (5&3) in 4-bed semi.

Budget
ESB €100 per month
Gas €75 pm
BT Ireland €90 pm (line rental, calls, broadband)
ntl €40 pm (analog & digital)
Alarm monitoring €16 pm
TV licence €13 pm
Car €250 pm (everything, bar petrol and loan)

Sarah said:
By the way am planning on getting a tv licence about a month or so after we move in as we dont have the extra cash right away will this be a problem does anyone know?

Cheers again!

It never dawned on us to buy a t.v licence until a very friendly An Post inspector knocked on the door one saturday morning about 15 months after we moved in:eek: .....we assume he was doing the rounds as its a new estate;) and he kindly gave us 2 weeks to sort it out.

2 adults in a very exposed 4 bed semi (beside a green area and very bad insulation)

Gas including hob - 75 pm
ESB - 80 every two months
NTL - 96 every two months (basic tv and broadband)
Sky Digital - 60 pm
Phone - 55 every two months
Bin - our tag is €6 and put it out every 2 - 3 weeks

TV Licence renewal was July but haven't got round to paying for it yet
Groceries - 120 every week

2 adults, 1 child in a mid-terrace (so quite well insulated) Per month

Gas - €35
ESB - €42
Waste Charges - €12 (only put the bin out every second week)
Phone & Broadband - €70 including call charges
Insurance - €30
Digital TV - €28
Groceries - €60 per week
TV Licence - €13

HTH

this post is great myself and Mrs Mikeyny are moving from the USA two weeks from now and its great to get some idea of the household bills that we will have to pay

thanks

mikeyny

Tonash said:
I wonder how that fits in with the statement on Oasis that "Each licence is issued for a 1 year period; this means that if you will be staying in Ireland for less than 1 year, you must still obtain a full television licence. You cannot obtain a refund on the licence fee if you will be leaving Ireland before the licence expires."
I assume if you get rid of the TV/leave the country/etc. after 6 months, you can just stop paying the direct debit and they'll cancel the licence - they won't make you keep paying until the year's up. Or would they?

I doubt that they can force you to keep paying if you cancel the DD and move abroad. As such, in spite of what OASIS says, it looks like you could actually pay for less than a full year of TV licensing by using the DD payment

I suppose their problem is the physical licence. If you start paying by monthly direct debit, do they still give you a piece of paper saying "annual TV licence, valid until xx.xx.xx [a year's time]" to show an inspector if he calls? If so, what's to stop everyone just paying the first month, getting the bit of paper, and then cancelling the direct debit?
I doubt they want to have to keep cross-checking to make sure that everyone with a licence (bit of paper) has actually paid in full or is in the process of continuing to do so.

Back