Household benefits package - 66 year old - means test

Yet again I think that people should forget about trying to understand the minutiae of the qualification criteria and just apply for the package and if they're rejected then they can query/appeal the decision. I'm sure that most people have better things to be doing than trying to deconstruct and parse welfare operational guidelines... ;)

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

I started off in my post (No. 2) thinking that I had some idea of the qualifying criteria but I'm totally confused now. Thanks lads for that :p:p

A pleasure - the important thing is to try and highlight incorrect assertions in order to prevent people from being misled.

As I constantly advise people (and Clubman is fully entitled to reject my wise counsel should he wish! ;) ) - it's always worth reading the relevant Operational Guideline! They are the Gospel and are what the Deciding Officers in the Department use to make their decisions.

Yet again I think that people should forget about trying to understand the minutiae of the qualification criteria and just apply for the package and if they're rejected then they can query/appeal the decision. I'm sure that most people have better things to be doing than trying to deconstruct and parse welfare operational guidelines... ;)

You'd be amazed by how interested people get in such trivia when they sniff the opportunity to claim some extra moolah from the Gubberment!

You'd be amazed by how interested people get in such trivia when they sniff the opportunity to claim some extra moolah from the Gubberment!
But that's my point. If you reach a certain age just apply for all of these things. Then if you're rejected query or appeal it. Mistakes can be made and sometimes some flexibility/latitude is possible.

I have just been advised by DSP that my application for the HBP has been refused.

More fool me for believing Exchanger's post (# 9 above) and applying without first bothering to check the guidelines! :oops:

I suspect that some people applying for the HBP, may be caught out by not having a TV licence ;)

I suspect that some people applying for the HBP, may be caught out by not having a TV licence ;)
I presume you mean if they get refused having applied and they don't have a current license ? Not really. Welfare look after HBP and An Post look after license.

As someone who only found out about this benefit after the age of 66, I can confirm that anyone over that age who is drawing the contributory state pension, qualifies without any means test. You don't have to be living alone. The info on line is not designed to make it easy to understand the qualification criteria. Since I found out about it and now receive this benefit, I have told all of my friends who are also on contributory state pension to apply. ALL are now receiving it. Goodness knows we get little enough "free" so to those of you still hesitating just fill in the form online and get some help with your ever increasing electricity bills and get free TV licence too. Enjoy
Just an update on my application for the household benefits package. I get the contributory old age pension, am almost 69 years of age and have been notified as below;

This claim has been disallowed​

Your claim has been disallowed. You will receive details of your disallowance by post.

Just an update on my application for the household benefits package. I get the contributory old age pension, am almost 69 years of age and have been notified as below;

This claim has been disallowed​

Your claim has been disallowed. You will receive details of your disallowance by post.

I bet I know why! As they say in France: cherchez la femme! ;)

As I said previously, to qualify before age 70 you must :
-be living alone, or
-be living with a qualified adult dependent
Otherwise you will get it at age 70.

I haven't got the letter yet, but would imagine it's because my wiser other half is the recipient of a PS pension. I didn't expect to get it in all fairness, if one reads the rules correctly, my result was contained within;). That settles it then.
No more comments from me on this now, just sorting out that not all we're told for certainty is true.

Update from OP..

Reminder - applicant will turn 66 later this year and lives alone.
On checking further I found that he was receiving an Invalidity Pension.

His application for HBP was approved recently so he gets a free TV licence and an electricity allowance.
They have even backdated the electricity allowance to late 2021. Happy days.

Thank you all for your posts / information.

Back