House split preliminaries - any advice

Mininv

Ive looked through the posts on this forum and some of them are incredibly helpful. However, my own situation is a little unusual so I thought Id see if anyone had any extra words of advice or warning.

I'm looking at converting the upstairs of the family bungalow into a separate apartment. This house was originally intended to have two storeys but cashflow meant it was eventually left as a bungalow. This does mean that a lot of the structural work (in terms of strong enough foundations, high enough roof, etc) is already done.

However, Im unsure as to the first step to take. I was originally considering getting a few builders to look at it and give quotes, but recently Ive begun to think an architect might be a better idea. This is because the space is a little unusual and I think it would be beneficial in the long term to have someone design an appropriate layout to make the best use of the space.

I understand the planning issues so that's not a problem.

The house is south facing and with a sea view (from the attic) so there should be scope for something really nice. Id like to make the best use of the light and location that I can.

Id also like to look at installing solar panels (as its a sun trap) and other energy efficient systems. Which is, again, why I think an architect rather than a builder might be a better option.

Does this make sense?
Does anyone have even a ball park guestimate of the costs for this sort of project (clearly Im not flush as the conversion is cos I cant afford a house pre-crash)?
Cauld anyone recommend anyone in particular (its in the Sandycove area)?
Especially an architect for this type of work?

Thanks in advance.

Er, investment forum? Sorry, I should have clarified. This isnt splitting the house for an investment. Its putting a separate apartment into the family home so that the eldest child in the family can live there rather than forking out on crazy house prices. There's no intention to sell the flat at any point.

Anyway, hope someone has some useful advice - thanks.

Back