House sold - mortgage not paid off yet!

bonnie1

Can anyone please throw some light on this for me? Sold my house last week and purchased one in new development. All done on same day. As far as I know my solicitor used the full proceeds of the cheque from my purchasers, my loan cheque, and a bank draft from me to pay the builders solicitors for the new house. So he overpayed the builders solicitors. He told me that things were left ''a bit tight'' (not my fault!!) and that this was the ''only way'' it could be done for the sale and purchase to go through on the same day. He said I would have to pay the interest on the old mortgage (about 15 euro a day) for about 4 days. So I said that was fine.
I assumed that what he meant was he would be waiting about 4 days for the builders solicitors to refund him so then he would pay off my old lender and clear my old mortgage?
But I went in to see him 2 days ago and although I dont understand all the 'solicitor jargon' as far as I can see I am still paying the old mortgage. The original lender doesnt know that I have moved house! Because my solicitor didnt have redemption figures for me in time, I overpayed by about 500 euro in my bank draft to make up the balance of funds needed for the new house and I was expecting to get this back. But every day Im losing 15 euro of this! And solicitor even told me that the old lender may look for my direct debit payment as usual!!
Surely this cant be right? I cant pay the mortgages on 2 properties when I only own one! Can anyone advise me who is at fault here, what exactly is going on and is this the norm? Thanks.

You are not paying this 15 euro per day but the net effect will be a payment to your mortgage provider of 15 euro per day when everything is sorted out. You will also have to pay the mortgage payment when it is due but your redemption figure should be reduced to reflect this. Ask the mortgage provider if the redemption figure includes the latest payment made by you.

Thanks asdfg. I have cancelled my direct debit with the old mortgage provider as my last payment was around the 18th of the month and I really didnt expect to be paying another one! Should I ring them to explain or is this up to my solicitor to sort out?

Same difference- if your solicitor had been able to draw down your loan cheque earlier it would have cleared into his account in time for him to pay it out to the solicitors for the vendors of your new house. Obviously that didnt happen so your solicitor had to endorse over bank drafts to them- it now has to clear through their accounts and he has to wait for the refund. IF you had allowed him to draw down earlier you would have been paying both your old and new mortgage for a few days before closing- instead you are doing so after closing.

My solicitor was late getting my loan cheque because he delayed sending over documents to the loan provider. Myself and the broker had to keep chasing him. I wouldnt have minded drawing it down a few days earlier as that would have been a small amount to pay off the new mortgage.
Also, I was told that it would only take about 4 days for the old mortgage to be paid off, but this is now day 17 and it hasnt been redeemed yet. Its just that I was expecting a refund of about 500 euro which Im told by the solicitors' secretary now is 20 euro! Just wondering if it would normally take that long for the funds to clear?

Back