House Sale - double or single photo ad ?

twofor1

As an executor I will be selling a house in the new year through one of the big nationwide estate agents. It’s a 3 bed Dublin semi with a large rear garden in what is considered a very good residential area. It should sell for around €800K.

The agent is recommending a double picture ad in the Irish Times property supplement on Thursdays with a picture of the front of the house and the rear garden. Including VAT this would cost €900 for the 2 Thursdays it would be advertised for. A single picture ad of just the front of the house would cost €450 for the 2 Thursdays.

I accept a single photo add is definitely needed for both weeks. My question is a double add worth the additional €450 ?

I’m thinking the double add will be more beneficial to the agent rather than the seller but am willing to be convinced otherwise.

Surely anyone remotely interested will go to the agent’s website and will see numerous pictures of the house and garden together with the detailed property description.

Any thoughts ?

I agree with Easel, I feel the main purpose of these ads is to drive more business to the agency. I'm currently in the market and I rarely if ever look at the property supplement ads. The property sections of the papers delivered to our canteens seem to get put to one side and get little attention.

A few months back I was at a viewing of a property with an unusually large back garden that the agent(vendor really) had splashed out for a small feature piece on, The agent asked everyone coming through the door if they had seen the piece, I didn't hear anyone say yes.

There's not a lot on sale in that segment of the market at the moment, so I doubt either single or double picture options would be a wise investment.

It's about 0.1% of the likely sale price.

Is it likely to generate more bids that would push the price up by more than 0.1%? I don't know.

As an executor I think your actions should be pretty risk averse.

How many people go to The Irish Times property supplement to look at a property compared to those who go directly to myhome.ie or daft.ie?

You'd be spending €500 - €900 on the off chance that someone is having a flick through the supplement and sees the property. They will then go on line to get more details.

Overall, the price of the ad isn't very much in relation to the value of the property but will it make a difference to someone looking for a new home? Not much I'd say.

Even if I saw it on the newspapers it would be Daft or MyHome that i'd use to get all the information I would need. No I wouldn't pay for it.

I was not expecting most to say no Times photo ad at all. Great to get other opinions.

Yes multiple photos will be on Daft and Myhome, as well as the agent’s site.

The Times double photo ad is now ruled out.

I personally accept what most have said here but the single photo ad will go ahead as some of the beneficiaries have already asked; ‘’When will we see it in the Times’’

An ass covering exercise on my part.

Thanks for the replies.

There is another thread on this website regarding preparing a house for sale. It is well worth having a look at it.

I've been house hunting with a good friend for the past 6 months. I am actually shocked at the presentation of many houses on the market:- Sparse light fittings, Obvious dampness, Carpets that are threadbare, Godawful DIY jobs, Toilets with skidmarks, Flaking paint, Collapsed waste pipes, Ceilings on converted garages bending, Kitchens not only with doors falling off presses, but rotting on the inside, General untidy appearance of everything, Unkempt gardens etc.

I believe that a house should sell itself on appearance which transcends all advertising.

There is another thread on this website regarding preparing a house for sale. It is well worth having a look at it.

I've been house hunting with a good friend for the past 6 months. I am actually shocked at the presentation of many houses on the market:- Sparse light fittings, Obvious dampness, Carpets that are threadbare, Godawful DIY jobs, Toilets with skidmarks, Flaking paint, Collapsed waste pipes, Ceilings on converted garages bending, Kitchens not only with doors falling off presses, but rotting on the inside, General untidy appearance of everything, Unkempt gardens etc.

I believe that a house should sell itself on appearance which transcends all advertising.

Completely with this. The money would be better spent getting the house professionally cleaned, a handyman/woman for a few hours and getting someone in to tidy up the garden. When I was selling my last house I opted to get professional pictures taken rather than the usual estate agent ones...it was €150 well spend IMO

When I was selling my last house I opted to get professional pictures taken rather than the usual estate agent ones

I agree with good pictures - provided they are realistic.

One of the agencies in these parts (part of a nationwide franchise) is well known for its photoshopped pictures on Daft. The house on viewing is often barely recognisable from the one in the pictures. It may bring in plenty of viewings but I doubt it increases the price - and it doesn't help their reputation.

I find it so irritating to look at estate agent house photos showing large spacious rooms then turning up to see you wouldn't swing a cat in them

I find it so irritating to look at estate agent house photos showing large spacious rooms then turning up to see you wouldn't swing a cat in them
the room sizes are in the description, though I find a floor plan much more useful.

Back