House sale appraisal

Roro999

Is it usual for vendors to get in two estate agents for a valuation before choice of agent to go with is made ? If one says a property is valued at 250k and the other 225k should one go with the agent estimating the higher valuation ? What should one take into account in deciding which to choose ?

What should one take into account in deciding which to choose ?
Recent sales of similar properties in the area.
Property Price Register.
Overvaluing or setting an asking price that is too high isn't a good idea since, if/when the price must be lowered to match reality it can put some buyers off who may suspect a problem with the property.

Yes, it's very common. It's rarely a good idea to talk to just one service provider before committing and estate agents are no different.

As ClubMan says, some may suggest an unrealistically high value in order to convince you to choose them so you need to be wary of that. I'd suggest going to viewings of properties close to your own to get a sense of how the agents perform in real viewings. I did that when selling my last place and I was able to rule out one company I was considering as the agent really didn't impress.

You also need to take into account fees and charges the EA is going to charge. They will vary from one to another.

Back