House raid - friends teenage son had drugs hidden

Whitey499

Hi! My friend works as a teacher. Last weekend, Gardai came to her door with a search warrant saying to herself and her husband that they had a tip off that her teenage son - 17 - had drugs hidden in the house. They searched and did find 14k of drugs. My friend was shocked. Apparently their son was given 100 euros to stash it for a few days. Their son has been wayward in the past, and they have invested a lot of time trying to keep him on straight and narrow - they thought he had been improving. My friend is worried where this will go for their son - but is of the view that he has to accept responsibility for his choices, however bad. However, she is due to have a Garda check for a new job for Sept and is wondering will it come up that her house has been raided - as she will be giving her address - and then she won't get Garda clearance. If any one can advise on this it would be great.

Thanks Mrs. Vimes. Their son already saw a criminal lawyer - that's in hand, but my friend does not know how raiding the house for drugs and finding them in their son's bedroom - in the mattress - will affect her career as she needs Garda clearance for her new job. Their son was arrested and a file sent to DPP, my friend wasn't arrested. It appears as it's quite a substantial amount he will be unlikely to get JLO, but will be sent to Oberstown or some where similar.

They may have bigger problems. Very likely the dealer will threaten violence until they are reimbursed the value of the drugs.

Otherwise see here.

When a prospective worker is vetted by the National Vetting Bureau, their criminal record (if any) is disclosed to the authorised liaison person in the registered organisation – see ‘How to apply’ below. A vetting disclosure will include details of all convictions and pending prosecutions and a statement of specified information* (if any) or a statement that there is no criminal record or specified information relating to the person being vetted.

Unlikely that the parents will be prosecuted in this case, only the son.

Back