House overlooked

dino

Hi,
I viewed a house yesterday and I am interested in it. The only downside is that the house is overlooked to the rear. The house has a nice back garden with decking but the there is a block of apartments behind it. The apartments are 2 story with a dormer in the roof. The first floor of the apartments have a balcony that looks straight into the back garden. Would this cause problems selling the house in the future and would it effect the value?

You are in the buyer position at the moment and are interested in this property. So, while some people would not like the idea of overlooked garden (like me), others would not mind that much (like you as you are interested in property).
How does the price of this property compare with the price of other property around which are not overloked?
Is there many parties interested in this property, i.e. are you in bidding war ?

What kiind of house are you looking at, a small commuter type house probably wouldn't have people worrying about being overlooked but a larger family home would. I assume that because there's a block of apartments the house is either in a desirable location or good commuting distance to Dublin (or Galway, Cork) which again would usually mean it should sell without the overlooked aspect having too much influence on the price. Either way if being overlooked influences the price when you come to sell then it should also have influenced the price you bought it for.

It's a 3 bed semi in a commuter town to Cork. The house is nice and the finish is very good. It wouldn't worry me too much about being overlooked. I will probably want to sell the house again in a few years so I'm just wondering if it's something that puts people off houses.

Would most definatley put me off......but the estate I am moving from is building all the houses so they will be over looking each other, seems ridiculous planning to me but the houses are selling like hot cakes so obviously I am in a minority.
Surely there are other houses avaialble locally why not compare what you can get elsewhere for your money beofre committing.

If you buy, could you plant some fast grow trees like Cyprus Leylandii to give privacy? (These trees need constant maintenance and pruning to prevent them going crazy, but they are quick and effective)

NO NO NO NO please don't anyone ever plant those tress they are hideous and a blight on the countryside and in many cases not allowed in planning.

Back