House not built after nearly two years

F

fitzy28

My Partner and I bought our house off the plans in February 05 (signed the contract). We were told at the time our house in the estate would be ready in twelve to eighteen months, so that would have ment at the latest October 06. I contacted the estate agent on numerious occasions and he said it would def be ready in September, October time, i contacted him last month and he said ring the builder it was his fault for the delay not theres. We contacted the builder and he said it would be ready after Christmas Janruary/February thats almost two years. I dont think it states the time for the house to be built in the contract. We are paying high rent at the moment waiting to move in to the house. Does anyone please know our rights in this case and should the builder reinberish us for the rent we're paying in this time delay. The house foundations have just been laid last week, Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Welcome to AAM.

Sorry to hear about the delay on your house. I have moved your first post to a more appropriate forum to uidelines and in order that you will get appropriate replies.

Hope things work out for you.

contact your solicitor asap...he should be able to give you the time frame in the contract...if he was any good he would have put in 12 months, if there is no date then he's not worth what ur paying him, he is supposed to go through the builders contract and highlight these dates...

Would be absolutely astonished if there was not a date provided in the Building Agreement for when the house should/will be completed - very basic element contained in EVERY SINGLE Building Agreement that I have ever seen.

The relevant clause usually allows for completion of the property within a 12 - 24 month period with a completion notice served on the employer/purchaser thereafter.

You really need to speak to your solicitor and check whether a particular time frame wss provided and if it has lapsed you should serve a completion notice immediately - do not accept any excuse from the developer or their solicitor. If no time frame for completion was included I would have a serious issue with the way your own solicitor handled the pre-contract enquiries / signing.

Hi Fitzy

same thing happened to myself and my husband - put down deposit on apartments sold off plans in November '03. Eventually moved into the apartment end October '05 (the original date had been given to us as April '05 then July '05 etc.). When you buy off plans this tends to happen - and the builders wouldn't let us out of the contract so we just had to put up with the delays...

I know how frustrating it can be, especially as there is nothing really you can do about it. At least though we did get in within the 2 years - are you saying they're only laying your foundations now??

M

Back