House let below 30 % market rate- request for family member to come from overseas as a refugee

nbc

Hi
I have a house let in Dublin to a nice family from Somalia for 8 years. The rent is 30-35% below market rate due to multiple factors. Being decent and not stitching people got me nowhere!! The rent is paid by welfare. Tenant hopes to get a brother into Ireland as a refugee but needs a letter from his landlord that he is allowed to stay in the house- even if short term.
In these circumstances can I get around 4 % increase and increase by more as it’s a significant change in the lease?
Regards
NBC

Hi
Tenant hopes to get a brother into Ireland as a refugee but needs a letter from his landlord that he is allowed to stay in the house- even if short term.
That doesn't sound plausible to put it mildly! Are you sure you have that right?

You are in rpz so tied to the calculation on rtb website. If the rent has not changed in 8 years do it now. Are you receiving rent allowance and they pay 32per week or r a s? Either way the rent should be increased and the council will adjust the payment.

Do not include the brother as it will mess up things with you and your tenants. Also you could have overcrowding. The brother should find his own place.
If the brother is claiming refugee status he will be in a centre for while and will not be allowed to live elsewhere until status is decided. You can't increase just because another person is in the property.

If the current rent was set some years ago, use the RTB calculator to determine the max you could increase it to. The 4% is an annual limit.

Ask family to let you have the letter from the relevant authority where this undertaking has been requested.

Back