house left open with key in door & nothing done

blinkbelle

hi,

my friend has recently bought a house any she has keys to it but hasnt actually moved in yet. The builder has a key as he is doing another bit of work for her. Anyways when she went to the house yesterday she found the door unlocked with the key in the front of the door, and the work that he said he was doing monday, wasnt done tuesday either.

like is there not someone on building sites in charge of locking up the houses or whats the story? she hasnt got in contact with the builder yet. He's not answering. Like what if someone had seen that key and took it and after she moves in, in the summer go back and rob her house. ok maybe im going a bit ott with this but shes really upset about it.

Builders are generally lackadaisical about house security, particularly where they are still on site working on the next phase.

We had been living in our new home for about a month when a workman, who was asked to change a faulty front door lock on another house, got confused and broke into ours by removing a double glazing panel from the outside.

He duly changed the lock, replaced the window and left, leaving me locked out of my house when I came home from work.

When I contacted the company responsible, they said that 'the lads' still see even the completed houses as part of the site and 'not to worry' about it. A visit from the Guards changed his mind and his attitude! :mad:

Always, no matter what - when the builders are totally finished in house change the locks. If multipoint locking or a nightlatch just the cylinder needs changing.

Likewise, same applies to a secondhand house purchased. Never ever give someone doing work in your house a key - like everything else they lose them!

Happens all the time. A mate arrived home to find the builders had a key, opened up , and had stolen his electricity. He changed the locks while they were at lunch, left a note in the hut, and got some nice free power tools :D

<the note said that the local sergeant had the tools in his custody as part of an electricity theft investigation >

change the locks or swap them with a neighbours house because they are in the same position , front goes to back and back goes to front if possible , simple screwdriver job which wont even dinge her fingernails . Screw to side of lock, visible when door opens and barrel will just pop out. Play musical locks and everyone is better off.

on two occassions we were in our new house and heard noises... and walked in on builders using the facilities in the downstairs loo.

PGD1 said:
on two occassions we were in our new house and heard noises... and walked in on builders using the facilities in the downstairs loo.

Oh my God!
That sounds particularly horrible!

Most building sites have somene at the end of the day who will go around locking up. I would be furious about that too. You should make a complaint to the foreman to make sure it doesnt happen again. I would think twice about giving him the keys to your property again.

Marie M said:
"Electricity theft" he must be Victor Meldrew

Electricity Theft is a serious offence , much worse than trespass or breaking and entering with a feckin key :p

Back