House in small town (Clones Rd, Ballybay, Co. Monaghan)

TheSphinx

I am thinking about buying a new teraaced house in monaghan - First Phase was mid terrace 170,000 end terrace 175k second phase 190k and 195k. there are only 6 houses in the terrace which, which means 6 house per phase. The develpment has only 16 house altogether. I am wondering is it a good buy, for 190 or 195 - it's the only thing i can afford at teh moment, i still think it's a little expensive for the area. As well as that i think the huse are too close to a lake, which meand i would be afraid of flooding, as the field had flooded before, even though they have put a high tech drainage system in. What do you think? 45mins to work in dundalk less than 1.5hrs to dublin?

Re: House in small town in monaghan

Are you buying as an owner occupier or as an investor?

both i hope, will be living there myself for a year or 2, i would like to get a good return on it too...

If this is, perchance, a certain small estate on the Clones road in Ballybay then most of the locals have a small pool running on how many months it will be until they are flooded out.

High tech drainage aside i've seen that area flood badly enough to actually close that road off a few times in the last decade or so which in this case would mean the stuff in the attic would get wet!

Amazed me they got PP...

It is Euro, so you reckon it is not a good buy then - i just noticed that the second phase was released about 2 weeks before christmas, only 1 of them is sold, thought that was a bit slow...

Everyone was just astonished that someone would even consider building there not to mention getting planning permission.

Joking aside I wouldn't buy there at half the going rate and wondering every particularly rainy night if i was going to wake up wet or not! It's purely my personal opinion so seek out more but i'd be very wary at least.

Just got my mid terraced house in Monaghan town valued recently at €205,000. It's a nice house and in good condition with large kitchen. The rental would probably be better there also. Considering the concern about dampness maybe the development in Ballybay is not that good after all?

Ballybay is the end of the earth. Had the misfortunate of spending a summer there a few years ago whilst working in the area. The place has absolutely nothing going for it.

Just passed those houses last Sunday... owners could be swimming with the fishes in a few years!!!

Kevin said:
Just passed those houses last Sunday... owners could be swimming with the fishes in a few years!!!
We were having a great laugh about it a few nights ago when someone mentioned the 'advanced drainage system' they have installed. One quick witted auld lad shouted "Unless that means them houses FLOAT they're outta luck!" :D

Back