House alarm - Home insurance discount

cmalone

Does anyone know what insurance discount one is typically receiving for::

- house alarm ..
- monitored alarm system ...
- no alarm - what additional premium ?

A call to your company will confirm, or request a quote including the above info. For us it was so tiny, it wasn't worth us including the discount. This way it is not a condition of our insurance if we forget to turn it on. Ours is unmonitored, we only really use it at nighttime.

Last time I checked the discount was in the region of 10% but I would be very wary of declaring an alarm to an insurance co as they may refuse to pay out if you are burgled and had forgotten to set the alarm.

Edit - crossed with the two posts above.

I would never bother to claim this discount, for the sake of the few quid it really ties you to using the alarm absolutely every single time you go out no matter how short and human nature being what it is that doesn't happen! The one time you were only popping to the shop for a minute could be the time you would turn out not to be insured, not worth it.

When I renewed my house insurance last November I removed the alarm from the policy
The reason why I did this is that there are to many conditions attached to having an alarm on the house, Like having it serviced annually and it always has to be up to the current standard and the small fact that if you forget to set when your not there it could affect any claim in a negative way
IIRC there was a small increase of less the €50 and contents had a max value of €90K

Back