" Hot Hatch " or similar.

interested

I wonder could someone here who has a hot hatch such as a Golf Gti or Octvai VRS or other similar vehicles give me some idea of running costs such as fuel consumption and servicing and so on.
My reason for asking is I currently have a 04 Impreza WRX and am only getting 23 MPG and thats doing pretty normal driving and very little fast driving.With the price of fuel as it is I have just spent almost 100 Euro over the weekend .As a lot of my driving this weekend was done on main roads I couldnt really drive that fast but still only barely averaged 23 MPG.

I think any of the above mentioned 'hot hatches', GTI or Type-R, vRS etc will have better fuel consumption than your Impreza.
The Subaru are notoriously thirsty and the GTI & vRS (same engine by the way), will get you a combined in or around 32mpg, up to 40 if your frugal with the foot, similar for most of the others in the same group you are thinking of.

So, you couldnt go wrong with Focus ST, Golf GTI, Civic Type-R, Skoda vRS.
It all comes down to choice really

I ran a Focus ST for 12 months. Brilliant car. Expect low/mid 20's mpg. MkV Golf GTI will be a little better. I'd guess about 27/28 in the real world.

Servicing for the above cars is @ normal intervals. VW tend to charge megabaucks however. Ford have a fixed price menu srevice.

Evo's and Impreza turbos require more expensive interim servicing.

I guess the bottom line is you have to pay for your fun.

There are some quite good quick diesels about. Seat Leon etc.

Many thanks for replies lads , Interesting comments from RS2K in relation to high performance diesel cars .I may have a look at the Octavis VRS Turbo Diesel 170 BHP. Seems like a good combination of performance and economy.

Would you consider an Alfa Romeo 1.9/2.4 156/9? Good engines.

- looks like decent value.

I get anything from 25 - 35 mpg depending on how I drive and where I drive my GTI. (I paid 66 euro to fill it up last week from empty after doing about 500kms) I also pay around a grand for car insurance fully covered with no claims maxed. Haven't needed to service it yet so can't give you details on that.

No offence to any Alfa owners but I wouldnt consider one , far too many horror stories particulary about depreciation, saw a friend lose an unbelievable amount after only 2 years. Sunster not being exactly sure what you paid per litre when you filled your GTI but taking an average price at present of 117.00 per litre by my calculations that works out at 25 miles to the gallon.
Rang a Honda garage today to enquire about the new Type R Civic and was told they had not got one for me see or test drive and wouldnt have one in the near future but they would take an order for delivery in Sept.
I dont think so !!!!

No offence to any Alfa owners but I wouldnt consider one , far too many horror stories particulary about depreciation, saw a friend lose an unbelievable amount after only 2 years. Sunster not being exactly sure what you paid per litre when you filled your GTI but taking an average price at present of 117.00 per litre by my calculations that works out at 25 miles to the gallon.
Rang a Honda garage today to enquire about the new Type R Civic and was told they had not got one for me see or test drive and wouldnt have one in the near future but they would take an order for delivery in Sept.
I dont think so !!!!

Just goes to show how out of touch dealers are with reality. Yes we have this really cool product...but you can't see it or touch it or anything like that. If you'd like one though we might be able to get you one in a few months time...or maybe next year. If you're nice to us!!! :)

Theres an excuse to import from the UK if I ever saw one.
Wait till car is six months old to avoid the VAT, bring one home, pay VRT, result is better spec, still have manufacturers warranty and your good to go.

There's plenty of info in threads here about it.

Some of the dealers really do live off-planet.
Can you imagine walking into an audi dealership here, asking for a test drive in an RS4 and told you can't take it over 60kph.....'Oh I love it....heres my six figures...do you take a cheque' :)

How many of us have 'really' taken a car for a test drive? Would we be allowed to? Most sales are bought from pictures & web reviews I think.

Back