Hosting

I am currently paying €189.00 per annum, in the past and before I added my database I was paying between €89.00 and €129.00 per annum with 2 other providers. I was given 1 year free when I said I was thinking of moving elsewhere with one provider!

A lot more what? Disk space? Bandwidth? Yes, on the surface, but how much do you really need, and how oversold is the server? Industry standard is to put between 500 and 1000 accounts on a server. Assuming 1000, at 4000MB space each is 4TB storage - a hefty server indeed :)

Comparing the more relevant things, like costs for extras and included features:

They include 1 domain, we allow 2 to be hosted
We include dedicated IP, they do not
We include freephone tech support, they seem to provide email only
We are in Ireland, they are in Switzerland :)

They are also a euro more expensive! (shock ! :) )

Shared hosting, like domain names, are the commodities of the internet service industry. Anyone can claim to give you a squillion GB of space or bandwidth through overselling, but it is the features, add-ons, services and support, as well as the reliability and uptime / dependability that are crucial.

Looking at http://www.webhosting.info/webhosts/tophosts/Country/CH - pchighway have less than 3000 domains hosted, so they actually look like a reseller, or certainly a small provider - have they the scale to compete and survive?

Webhostingireland are quite good, and very good customer service too, but depends on what type of hosting you require. Personal, or business

If you're looking for Irish hosting companies try:

There are a couple of lists on boards.ie, but they're quite out of date.

In the Irish market there are about a half dozen companies that have their own infrastructure and the rest of them resell their services or those of an oversold US host (and yes I am biased)

You can now get hosting on servers based in Ireland from as low as €30 per annum, so why would you want to be using a US provider?

In fairness, that directory only contains 7 companies, most of them resellers.

As for infrstructure, depends on what you define as infrastructure :)

You think that company has never had an outage either? :)

Pretty much every single data centre has either had an outage of some kind or will have one - it's only a matter of time. What matters is how it is dealt with.

the US, where the vast majority of small host vastly oversell their resold resources and put accounts on oversold underpowered servers.

This is nonsense.

The problem with Irish hosting companies is that they don't understand the concept of customer service. US hosts do, we all know the US is customer focussed, whereas Irish companies think they're doing you a favour.

I would not use an Irish hosting company if I had a choice.

Pretty much every single data centre has either had an outage of some kind or will have one - it's only a matter of time. What matters is how it is dealt with.

Didn't you guys have a lot of downtime recently, but instead of telling your customers you posted on boards.ie instead, saying everything was ok?

HOsting365 experienced a partial outage of about 45 minutes a number of weeks ago, yes. All customers were informed and we've since taken measures to improve communication. This is relevant how and you are?

HOsting365 experienced a partial outage of about 45 minutes a number of weeks ago, yes. All customers were informed and we've since taken measures to improve communication. This is relevant how and you are?

Your 45 minutes figure is inaccurate. I know someone who's server was down for 6 hours during that outage. The reason I take offence to your posts is because you paint yourselves as angels and everyone else as unprofessional.

45 minutes is 100% accurate. If your 'friend' experienced a longer impact, it was for another issue (which granted mught have been related to the outage, but a single customer server is not a 'complete outage')

I hardly paint hosting365 as 'angels' however, we are the only host in Ireland who has made the commitment and investment we have. Is it unreasonable to paint ourselves 'better' than companies who have a few leased servers in a third party data centre, or worse again, are merely resellers of other hosts? Yes, owning all the infrastructure means there is more to do, but the tradeoff is more control and better costs, which passes on to the customer as better prices.

Back