Hookless village Co Wexford for holiday home?

F

Francie

Thinking of buying holiday house in Hookless village. Any pointers?

Hook is an additional 45 minutes from Dublin beyond, the local village is a bit rough at night. A lot depends on what you want, I am from Wexford, I think that St. Helens to the west of Rosslare harbour is the nicest area, less hurdy gurdy, the north wexford coast holiday areas are dominated by the Dubs. Curracloe has the best beach on that side and is closest to Wexford (1.45 hrs from Dub) but has a lot of caravans sites. You would get a good deal in St Helens now, the bungalows build in the 90's were getting 330K at the hieght, you'lll pick one up now for less than 150K.

Its a gorgeous location but to be honest it's like a deserted village now. Large parts of the complex have built but empty holiday homes. I took a long walk around all of the houses this summer and it's such a shame to see large parts in disrepair. There used to be a bar, swimming pool etc on the complex but these have all shut down. On the plus side some of the complex is still alive and kicking and well kept. The houses facing the sea have a fantastic view. There is a gorgeous bay (Sandeel) literally less than 5 mins walk from the complex. If you like peace and quiet then this has it in spades. But any complex where half is in disrepair and uninhabited would ultimately turn me off from purchasing.

Thanks Lou2, I knew there must be a few negatives. I've actually just looked at it on Google map (streetscape) and I can see what you mean. I might still have a look. They are obviously anxious to sell as many as possilble as quickly as possible.

Been there, sale agreed, 4 years ago - then the whole development collapsed just as we had changed our minds, it is very remote. Bought nearer Wexford instead, ditched corporate Dublin, moved lock, stock, kids and proverbial barrel and have never looked back. Now, being local in Wexford I am so glad we didn't buy as far remote as Hookless.

There are a few houses for sale in Hookless village at the moment & seems there have been improvements based on a thread in another forum;)

Wondering if anyone on the forum lives or takes holidays in the area who could give some information on if it is a good place for young kids, etc.

There are a few houses for sale in Hookless village at the moment & seems there have been improvements based on a thread in another forum;)

Wondering if anyone on the forum lives or takes holidays in the area who could give some information on if it is a good place for young kids, etc.

are you planning on living there full time - it's very remote and exposed. even for a holiday home, the Hook is picturesque but there's not much there, I'd prefer somewhere like Dunmore East on the other side of the bay.

thanks for the reply shweeney.

No, we are not planning on living there full time.

If we purchased one of the properties, then we would be looking at spending 2-3 weeks in the summer there and a couple of long weekends, the rest of the time we would be trying to rent the house if possible.

Took a spin down & seems a nice area for young kids with a lot of nearby beaches, probably best to take a holiday there next summer to check it out properly before making a commitment to purchase.

Back