Homemade BBQ smoking chips.

Drakon

Has anyone tried DIY/homemade smoking chips/chunks for use in the barbecue?

I’ve been using shop bought stuff the last few years, like oak, cherry, and apple.

Now I’m going to try making my own. I pollarded an oak tree in my back garden earlier this year so will use some of the branches for the bbq. My local park has a few cherry trees so I might grab a branch or two there.

As honey Maggie season has started I’m saving the skin and stone for the bbq too. I know they use mango wood in the US for smoking so I’ll give the skin/stone a go with chicken some day.

Any tips or other suggestions?

I do a little DIY woodwork, so have loads of oak shavings that do the trick nicely. Shavings from the planer/thicknesser are pretty fine, so they start to smoke quickly in the BBQ.

honey Maggie

???? That should read honey mango!!!!

Anyway, tried it yesterday. Put six honey mango stones in the Big Green Egg before putting a chicken in. I always say this when I try something new with the BGE, but it was extraordinary.
The smell was reminiscent of the Khao San Road.
The chicken took on a very yellow colour after only 15 minutes. The same yellow colour of a honey mango.
By the time the chicken was cooked though, it was a dark golden brown.
As for the flavour: extraordinary!
Didn’t taste of mango. Dunno how to describe it. Smokey, obviously, and nutty too.

The options are limitless, really. I think I’ll try avocado stones next.

Back