Homebond delay stalling house move.

It didn't even occur to me to test the heating to be honest as I assumed that it would all be part of a guarantee. Hopefully this doesn't prove naive of me. Our snag was mostly just small things also so we weren't too worried. They do appear to be well built homes. We're just very excited to get moved in now
Good morning, we are in the same boat. Found this forum googling homebond delays. The EA told us is was delayed because someone was out sick, the poor person must be dead at this stage, they then said delay was with hombond backlog, homebond said no backlog and can't comment because of data privacy, we contacted the developer directly who then blamed a working relationship issue with hombond and not to tell anyone cause it would add to delays. All absolute nonsense in a housing crisis. We contacted local government after three and a half months waiting and the reply was we will have the cert by the end of the week! 3 weeks ago. Homebond said they have gone back to check drainage in the back gardens 2 weeks ago. We signed the contract in July, It's exhausting but very typical Ireland that one organisation (Homebond) can hold up a new development for this long.

Good morning, we are in the same boat. Found this forum googling homebond delays. The EA told us is was delayed because someone was out sick, the poor person must be dead at this stage, they then said delay was with hombond backlog, homebond said no backlog and can't comment because of data privacy, we contacted the developer directly who then blamed a working relationship issue with hombond and not to tell anyone cause it would add to delays. All absolute nonsense in a housing crisis. We contacted local government after three and a half months waiting and the reply was we will have the cert by the end of the week! 3 weeks ago. Homebond said they have gone back to check drainage in the back gardens 2 weeks ago. We signed the contract in July, It's exhausting but very typical Ireland that one organisation (Homebond) can hold up a new development for this long.

Could I ask if it’s a different developer to Orchid Homes/ORHE Group? Id be curious to know.

It seems the like the exact same thing is playing out with our development. This last Homebond inspection must have been a drainage review within the back gardens as thats where the builders were working this morning.

Could I ask if it’s a different developer to Orchid Homes/ORHE Group? Id be curious to know.

It seems the like the exact same thing is playing out with our development. This last Homebond inspection must have been a drainage review within the back gardens as thats where the builders were working this morning.
It's Orchid homes as well

Is this Homebond cert part of the documentation required by the mortgage lender? I'm having a similar nightmare with a development in same general area and thought we were getting somewhere with ESB being connected, but this Homebond thing is another potential hurdle I hadn't anticipated!!

Is this Homebond cert part of the documentation required by the mortgage lender? I'm having a similar nightmare with a development in same general area and thought we were getting somewhere with ESB being connected, but this Homebond thing is another potential hurdle I hadn't anticipated!!

I think all the Irish banks require Homebond or an equivalent with mortgages for new builds.
Our lender, BOI, told us strictly that they won’t waive it however I know of AIB as having waived it in the past for others.
Regardless, our solicitor won’t let us close without it. I suppose it really is something you want before you close a sale given the scale of protection it gives you.

I don’t think there are delays with Homebond across the board anyway. This seems to be a specific issue between Homebond and this developer.

Best of luck

Last edited:
Hi there Braystones! Looks like we're moving into the same development. Still no response from homebond after they've been paid!!

Hi there Braystones! Looks like we're moving into the same development. Still no response from homebond after they've been paid!!
IMG_0853.jpeg

Hey - thanks for posting in.
I think, based on the numbers, everybody that is due to move into the development is in this thread. All of us waiting on Homebond.

Edit

Just to recap on what we know;

-EA confirmed that “1 item” remains to be closed off with Homebond
-Homebond inspector spotted onsite mid-last week
-Builders spotted Saturday morning working in the back gardens of all houses with cement

Speculating that the builders were sealing whatever they had to open up for the Homebond inspection.

Last edited:
Sorry, my mistake. I'm moving into a development on Greenhill road, Wicklow Town. Same issue... Complete radio silence from Homebond.

View attachment 8146

Hey - thanks for posting in.
I think, based on the numbers, everybody that is due to move into the development is in this thread. All of us waiting on Homebond.

Edit

Just to recap on what we know;

-EA confirmed that “1 item” remains to be closed off with Homebond
-Homebond inspector spotted onsite mid-last week
-Builders spotted Saturday morning working in the back gardens of all houses with cement

Speculating that the builders were sealing whatever they had to open up for the Homebond inspection.
Hey,

The builders were on site again fixing drainage pipes in the back gardens of the houses on Monday and have not been back since so my assumption would be that the work has been completed. What the next steps are I'm not sure, if homebond need to come out and inspect I would hope there is pressure on for this to happen quickly

Hey,

The builders were on site again fixing drainage pipes in the back gardens of the houses on Monday and have not been back since so my assumption would be that the work has been completed. What the next steps are I'm not sure, if homebond need to come out and inspect I would hope there is pressure on for this to happen quickly
Thank you for the update… the EA and developer havent returned my messages this week.

Painful. Homebond will need to come back on site by the sound of things. Hopefully, as you say, they do that soon.
People will start breaking for the holidays over the coming weeks…

Thank you for the update… the EA and developer havent returned my messages this week.

Painful. Homebond will need to come back on site by the sound of things. Hopefully, as you say, they do that soon.
People will start breaking for the holidays over the coming weeks…
No update as such, only to say we’ve been trying both EA and developer too this week, to no avail so far.

Back