Home WiFi - Pay as you go

dillsquatt

is there any provider out there where you can just get "Pay as you go" internet for home. Person travels alot and doesnt want to pay monthly bills when they could be gone for 3 months period? Doesn't want to be locked into a contract. Would mainly used for Netflix/Amazon etc. and maybe working from home on occasion.

thanks

is there any provider out there where you can just get "Pay as you go" internet for home. Person travels alot and doesnt want to pay monthly bills when they could be gone for 3 months period? Doesn't want to be locked into a contract. Would mainly used for Netflix/Amazon etc. and maybe working from home on occasion.

thanks
You could hotspot your phone and use that in place of a router - the phone shares the mobile internet connection over wi-fi. Have they tried that?
If you are getting decent download speeds anywhere in the house you put the phone there and Bob's your uncle.
The slightly more advanced version of this is getting a travel 4G router instead of the phone and popping a PAYG sim card in it.

Similar to @nephster's post, one could also get a cheap 4G (or 5G but more expensive) router that takes a SIM and provides internet connectivity via the cellular network. E.g. 48 give 200GB data allowance for €12.99 p.m. (you don't have to buy membership every month) with a one off SIM activation fee of €12.99. However, 4G data speeds and signal strength can vary/fluctuate significantly due to many different factors. I used this sort of setup for a bit while between "wired" broadband providers and it was functional but obviously not as good as "proper" broadband. My nephew is now using my 4G router and finds it adequate for his needs.

Hotspot all the way or simply cast from phone to TV

Assuming they have a mobile (most likely with all data) this is the easiest and cheapest way to go.

Back