Home Study Course paid for - not allowed attend tutorials

I

ISBN

Hi

I enrolled approx 6 weeks ago for a course, it is a home study course and the exams are being held in January. However, the format of this course has recently changed, the price of the course has more than doubled as a number of 'tutorials' have now been included as part of the course.

The company that runs this course have since told me that I cannot attend the tutorials as all the places are filled and it would be in breach of fire regulations if they let me go to them (despite me paying the full fee inclusive of the tutorials). The entry form states that 'no reduction in the fee will be given for missed tutorials' however, I have made myself available for the tutorials, surely it must be the companys responsibility to ensure wherever they are held is big enough to accomodate all the students? Or at least stop charging for the tutorials after all the places have been filled? Any ideas?

Thanks

Re: Course - missed tutorials

Hi ISBN,

It appears that the service provider is in breach of its contract with you.

I assume that you have paid for the services up front by cheque? Have you a copy of all correspondance with the service provider? Or perhaps everything was done over the phone. Do the have a course outline, brochure or timetable?

I assume that the tutorials are of the last minute revision type and are not due to be held until January? Or have the tutorials already been held?

I suggest that you write them a letter asking them to fulfill their contractual obligations concerning a place on the tutorial.

If the amount concerned is large I would suggest obtaining independent professional advice from a solicitor familiar with this aspect of business. I think also that if the amount is relatively small that this could be a case for the Small Claims Court.

ajapale

Ill change the title of the post to reflect more accurately the content of the question.

Hi Ajapale,

Yes, I paid upfront by cheque and have copies of correspondence between myself and the company running the course. The course outline lists the dates of all the tutorials. Most of them have already taken place, I suspect that there may only be one tutorial left at this stage. The major problem I have with this is the course I'm taking is 4 parts and I'm doing part 3 & 4 at the moment. I'm 'allowed' to attend the tutorials for part 3 but not part 4. I realise from attending the part 3 tutorials how valuable they are, especially since the tutor has agreed to give us a mock exam before the real one in January. Now I'll be missing out on this for Part 4. I'm just really annoyed that they still charged me the full fee and then came back to say that I can't do the tutorials!

Thanks for your help
S

Have you escalated your complaint to their Managing Director as a first step?

Thanks Rainyday, I think a stiff letter to their MD is in order this weekend.

Back